Author Topic: Noobs and officers  (Read 1299 times)

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
Noobs and officers
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
Boy, this game is complex.

I have organized a task group with some new designs, that I intend to try out on my annoying neighbor. There is 15 armed vessels in all. They are all finished and right now they are training.

But fleet training takes forever. And when I try to find out why, I find that my new ships have no officers.

I have plenty of unassigned officers, but all of them are lieutenants, and they can only command unarmed vessels, like cargo ships and tugs, or do general staff or team duty. They cannot even command a fighter. So I need captains for my ships, and commodores. If I strip all my fleet I can provide 17 captains and 6 commodores, so there should be just enough for now, even if some of them are busy as diplomats, elite surveyors and commanders of asteroid miners. But I plan to build a lot more ships, so I am a bit worried if I can get officers enough.

Therefore I have begun building more military academies. The problem here is, that already now I cannot employ all the lieutenants I have got, and every now and then some of them gets forcibly retired because of under-use, while at the same time I have plenty of ships without a commander. Right now I have around 100 lieutenant-commanders without a job, and around 25 ships that need a captain.

So, should I build more commercial ships and/or unarmed attack shuttles, just to try to keep as many lieutenants as possible, even if I have no use for more ships right now? 

Or are there other ways to get more higher-ranking officers?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Noobs and officers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Remember you can change the default required rank for a class on the DAC tab of the class design screen, so you can drop the requirements for fighters/FAC's down to lieutenant to give them something to command.

Offline Kof

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
Re: Noobs and officers
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
Remember to assign Staff officers to fleet command. This increases the speed of Fleet training several times over.