• Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Themes
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Under the Game menu is a "Add Theme". What exactly is needed for this? I assume it imports a file (based on the LARGE number of file not found errors I got). What's the format of this file?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »
There are three files. Class.txt, System.txt and Rank.txt. Each one should have a list of names with one name per line. They are loaded into the database to form the list of class names, system names and rank designations for the theme.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
The rank file should be in order highest rank to lowest.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Themes
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
A little thread necromancy. How does this work now there are four types of Rank? I'm struggling to find up to date instructions as to how to add Names, Ranks, System names, new themes etc, and I have several to add. I can only add parts of some.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline symon

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:11:01 AM »
No clues at all? Just to gather everything I've found together:-
Note that all text files have one entry per line.
Add Theme
Use Game -> Add Theme
Uses three files Class.txt, System.txt and Rank.txt.
Each one should have a list of names with one name per line. They are loaded into the database to form the list of class names, system names and rank designations for the theme. The rank file should be in order highest rank to lowest, but this doesn't account for the new four sets of ranks? Now obsolete? There is an add ranks button on commanders but it may not work correctly?

Add Ship names
Use Game->add ship names.
This add ship names, not classes. Uses a ShipNames.txt file.

Add Names
No longer seems available, but used at a minimum three files called Surname.txt, FirstName.txt and FemaleFirstName.txt.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »
Quote from: "symon"
No clues at all? Just to gather everything I've found together:-
Note that all text files have one entry per line.
Add Theme
Use Game -> Add Theme
Uses three files Class.txt, System.txt and Rank.txt.
Each one should have a list of names with one name per line. They are loaded into the database to form the list of class names, system names and rank designations for the theme. The rank file should be in order highest rank to lowest, but this doesn't account for the new four sets of ranks? Now obsolete? There is an add ranks button on commanders but it may not work correctly?

Add Ship names
Use Game->add ship names.
This add ship names, not classes. Uses a ShipNames.txt file.

Add Names
No longer seems available, but used at a minimum three files called Surname.txt, FirstName.txt and FemaleFirstName.txt.
Add ranks works correctly.  The ground ranks are a subset of the naval officers ranks.  i don't have the game in front of me so I will update this post with which ones are used tonight.  
Administrators and Scientists are known as administrator and scientist.  I think you can rename them in game but each of them using just the one name with mulitple levels A1-A7(?) rather than ranks.  Add names is a function that Steve can use.  Worthwhile knowing if you wish to send Steve a naming theme to include.  This is what I did for the Welsh name theme a while back (except I forgot to separate them into male and female first name files, Doh!).
Welchbloke

Offline symon

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:33 AM »
AN update: Try as I might, Add Theme doesn't add ranks other than Naval ranks. All other ranks end up as <NULL> so there is more needed to get this to work these days. You can manually correct the missing ranks though.

Doesn't seem to be any way to add names at present, which is holding me back some.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
Ground force ranks have been set for all existing themes and the last rank in each has been flagged for civilian and scientist use. Unfortunately, the import code for new themes doesn't setup the ground force ranks or flag the civilian rank, which means although Add Theme on the commander window will work for existing themes, it won't work for any player-added ones. I have updated the import code so that the ranks of new themes are setup correctly. The navy ranks will be copied to the ground force ranks and can be renamed as desired on the commander window.

Steve