Author Topic: Plea to Steve: the logistic skill needs love  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Plea to Steve: the logistic skill needs love
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:04:18 AM »
Hi,

After doing another test, I can now confirm that the logistic skill of a captain don't alter the loading or unloading of installations, minerals and troops.

Basically, from an answer from Steve, logistic seems to be only used by planetary governors (and perhaps sectors governors, for planets).

That's quite meager... Except for RPG purpose, adding a captain with good logistic to a troop transport or freighter is thus useless. Is something changeable and doable in the future about that, please?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Plea to Steve: the logistic skill needs love
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:04 AM »
Gets me thinking about the old quote "Amateurs study tactics, real generals study logistics".

It would be nice if logistics skill also was important for military ships. Refueling, Resupplying and rearming warships is by no means trivial at sea, and even more complex in space I presume.

So it would be cool if it would take quite a bit of time to refuel, resupply and rearm, so that you would value leaders skilled in logistics on your combat warships too.

Offline Hyena

• Leading Rate
  • H
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:39:04 AM »
I agree, I think it's a no-brainer that captains with logistics ought to give a bonus to various loading/unloading actions.

If for balance reasons this means reducing the impact of governor logistics on these tasks, I'd be fine with that.  I feel like a captain would have more of an influence on how their ship was loaded than the governor of the entire colony. 

This would also mean that ships would be able to more quickly resupply ordinance to and from colliers and unmanned supply dumps, which I think could be quite interesting.  People ought to be able to invest in a 'logistics' captain and get some benefit out of it.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
Moving to suggestions.  Please remember that we try to keep the thread count in Mechanics down because that's where Steve posts rules updates.

Also, note that Steve has requested that suggestions go in the official suggestions thread.  This is because he forgets where to find things (or their existence) if they're scattered amongst many threads.  Details in the "Where should I post" FAQ.

John