Author Topic: Detecting an enemy - smth I don't understand  (Read 1093 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Detecting an enemy - smth I don't understand
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:51:45 PM »
I'm in a system with an enemy ship using an active sensor S196/R93. The enemy ship is 8m km away from a picket of fighters, one having a R1 active sensor with a range of 1.3m km.
I have no passive sensors in the system, no thermal or grav one.
And yet, I detect the ship. It was detected before because I had a large active sensor, but I pulled it away to another system.

So why I'm still detecting the enemy? Is it a glitch, me not understanding a rule?

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Detecting an enemy - smth I don't understand
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:49:21 AM »
All ships get a small built in EM and Thermal sensor. Can't recall the details, I think it's equal to a 1 HS sensor at the tech level when you built it.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:58:59 AM »
ah right! so it explains why I saw the 'beacon in the dark', as the enemy ship was close and emitting with her active sensor. Thanks...

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
All ships get a small built in EM and Thermal sensor. Can't recall the details, I think it's equal to a 1 HS sensor at the tech level when you built it.

To be precise: the free 'look out the window' sensors each have a sensitivity of 1.

1HS is the maximum size a passive sensor is allowed to be before it is classed as a military rather than a commercial component.