Author Topic: Rescue Ship  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Silverkeeper (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Rescue Ship
« on: August 06, 2020, 12:59:47 AM »
Would this work?

Haven class Hospital Ship (P)      21 841 tons       155 Crew       761.5 BP       TCS 437    TH 1 000    EM 0
2289 km/s    JR 1-25(C)      Armour 1-69       Shields 0-0       HTK 41      Sensors 8/8/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 21    Max Repair 100 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 1 000 tons     Cryogenic Berths 20 000   
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Flight Crew Berths 20   

JC22K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 22500 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 1

Aerostar Large Commercial Ion Drive (4)    Power 1000    Fuel Use 6.19%    Signature 250    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 300 000 Litres    Range 40 billion km (202 days at full power)

N30 Navigation Sensor (1)     GPS 1600     Range 29.6m km    Resolution 100
MK-1 Small Electromagnetic Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km
MK-1 Small Thermal Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km

Strike Group
2x Condor Rescue Shuttle   Speed: 6011 km/s    Size: 9.98

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Condor class Rescue Shuttle (P)      500 tons       10 Crew       80.2 BP       TCS 10    TH 30    EM 0
6011 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 4      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 11.07 Years     MSP 50    AFR 4%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 11    Max Repair 45.000 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 1 000   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days    Morale Check Required   

Eurojet M-60 Fighter Engine (1)    Power 60.0    Fuel Use 808.29%    Signature 30.000    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 64 000 Litres    Range 2.9 billion km (5 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
Re: Rescue Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:23:24 AM »
It wouldn't in VB, since there was no way to transfer survivors from the shuttle to the main ship.  I suspect its the same in C# but I'm not sure.

If that is the case, a solution is to essentially swap the cryo storage on the hospital ship for more hanger decks and build loads more rescue shuttles.  Kind of a hospital ship with mobile wards that go out and do the actual rescuing, then dock with the mothership and treat their patients in-situ. 

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »
It wouldn't in VB, since there was no way to transfer survivors from the shuttle to the main ship.  I suspect its the same in C# but I'm not sure.

If that is the case, a solution is to essentially swap the cryo storage on the hospital ship for more hanger decks and build loads more rescue shuttles.  Kind of a hospital ship with mobile wards that go out and do the actual rescuing, then dock with the mothership and treat their patients in-situ.

Parasites automatically transfer survivors to the mothership:

Overcrowding is not checked on parasites in hangars, as it is assumed the flight crew berths and life support on the mothership will help with this situation. To avoid potential exploits of this simplification, any survivors on a parasite that docks with a mothership will be transferred to the mothership, unless they can be held in cryogenic modules on the parasite.

You can take the cryo berths off of the Rescue Shuttle. They are redundant.

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »

That depends how long you intend to deploy the rescue shuttles for. These ones have a deployment time of 6 days, enough time for the overcrowding mechanics on ships to kick it and give a few thousand percent increase in deployment time. I've had this exact issue with my rescue shuttles when I overloaded them, and even years after the mission their deployment counters still haven't hit zero.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »

That depends how long you intend to deploy the rescue shuttles for. These ones have a deployment time of 6 days, enough time for the overcrowding mechanics on ships to kick it and give a few thousand percent increase in deployment time. I've had this exact issue with my rescue shuttles when I overloaded them, and even years after the mission their deployment counters still haven't hit zero.

The morale penalty for overcrowding won't matter for this ship. It doesn't do anything that depends on morale.
Overcrowding on a small cryo-less shuttle (10 crew vs a much larger number of survivors rescued) will likely cause life support damage at the end of each construction cycle, but that damage is prevented if enough MSP is on hand. The tiny crew quarters only takes 1 MSP. The shuttle carries 50.

The cryo berths are 1/2 of the shuttle size. If you take them off, you can fit four shuttles on the Haven instead of two. That seems like a worthwhile tradeoff for having to pay 1 MSP whenever a shuttle is deployed at the end of a construction cycle.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:42:20 AM by skoormit »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
The shuttle are quite likely to never deploy beyond their 6 day deployment period as they don't have fuel enough for it. The shuttle are likely launched and moved as quickly as possible to pick up survivors and head back.

I also would not remove the cryo just because the mechanic don't need them as I think that role-play trump mechanic in this instance for me personally. But if someone else like to build small shuttles to pick up survivors with a ship too small to carry them that is their business...  ;) ...but you can pick up survivors as long as you have some MSP to repair the system that gets damaged which is far more cheaper than putting the cryo on the ship.

The following users thanked this post: Doc

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
I also would not remove the cryo just because the mechanic don't need them as I think that role-play trump mechanic in this instance for me personally. But if someone else like to build small shuttles to pick up survivors with a ship too small to carry them that is their business...  ;) ...but you can pick up survivors as long as you have some MSP to repair the system that gets damaged which is far more cheaper than putting the cryo on the ship.

I'm all for roleplaying around the gaps in the systems, but crowding a few hundred people into a small shuttle for a few days should not require actual cryogenic storage.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 07:09:09 AM »

I'm all for role playing around the gaps in the systems, but crowding a few hundred people into a small shuttle for a few days should not require actual cryogenic storage.

No.. I don't think that either... as long as you role-play it and restrict it to a few hundred people rescued in a small ship it is OK in my book too, I have done that. I usually just stick a small cryo for 200 people and role-play it as additional space to carry a few hundred extra people not as an actual cryo stasis unit. You can easily otherwise pick up thousands of stranded people with a single shuttle and that I would never do for sake of role-play.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »

I'm all for role playing around the gaps in the systems, but crowding a few hundred people into a small shuttle for a few days should not require actual cryogenic storage.

No.. I don't think that either... as long as you role-play it and restrict it to a few hundred people rescued in a small ship it is OK in my book too, I have done that. I usually just stick a small cryo for 200 people and role-play it as additional space to carry a few hundred extra people not as an actual cryo stasis unit. You can easily otherwise pick up thousands of stranded people with a single shuttle and that I would never do for sake of role-play.

I wish we could add extra CQ to ships like we could in VB. That way we could add crew/survivor capacity without needing cryo berths.
Don't get me wrong, though: I like the new overcrowding mechanics.

Maybe all I really want is a ship component that counts as capacity for survivors but not for colonists, and is a lot cheaper than cryo.
I suppose I could add that to the database myself...

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 11:57:29 AM »
Why in my game when I add an hangar deck it automatically changes to military vessel?  ??? ???

On the other hand. I LOVE your design, even if it does not work, it will be amazing for RP purposes. I will try to create another for my own game :)

Thanks for sharing

EDITED: BTW, thanks to your design I have discovered that active search sensors size 1.0 can be commercial!! hahahaha :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:08:29 PM by idefelipe »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
Why in my game when I add an hangar deck it automatically changes to military vessel?  ??? ???

On the other hand. I LOVE your design, even if it does not work, it will be amazing for RP purposes. I will try to create another for my own game :)

Thanks for sharing

You need to use commercial hangars. They are nor very efficient, but they do not change the ship to military.

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe