Author Topic: Wine bug with MSSTDFMT.DLL  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Mokuren (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Wine bug with MSSTDFMT.DLL
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »
I don't know if I'm the only one who tried to run Aurora under Wine, but for those that are curious: it works. Or seems to, at least.

The problem is that it makes an error at the end of the installation process, complaining about the inability to register this msstdfmt.dll. Being the caring and competent person I am, I just clicked on ignore so that it quit bothering me.

The game runs fine in the preparation phase, but there is one game-breaking bug when I try to open the System Information window. To quote:

Quote from: Error in LaunchSystemWindow
Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
You need the following file to be installed on your machine.
MSSTDFMT.DLL.
Please report to viewforum.php?f=11

So that's what I did.

I tried to install that .dll in the Aurora directory, then in the /windows/system32 directory, then I went into wine configuration to make it load that library in native format.

Still no luck, it doesn't realize it's installed at all.

So, I don't know what to do anymore. Anyone else that tried the same feat?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Wine bug with MSSTDFMT.DLL
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but to my knowledge, you are the first to post running Aurora in something other than native Windows.

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:03:21 PM »
I'll be running it under Virtual PC on a iMac g4 soonish. Need to get hold of an install disc, from somewhere. >.>

EDIT: Installing Window 2000. I feel dirty, my mac boy fanship says this is wrong.

Offline lastverb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:26 AM »
well i play aurora under vm running on linux, and since its just like normal windows there is no problem

Offline Another

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
You may want to look at this http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.p ... #msg969667 .
In short - go to your .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 folder in console and type "wine regsvr32 msstdfmt". Though I didn't manage to affect the font of F9 screen since then and this screen is barely useful in my installation. Half of other screen fonts are affected by Wine configuration options.

You would probably also want some activeX functionality and registering mfc42.dll could be helpful or could be not. I don't have a definitive answer. "ies4linux" and "winetricks" are probably worth looking at but I couldn't resolve all the minor issues with them either.

I am leaning toward trying VirtualBox + "real" winxp or something.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »
I had a different problem running Startup.exe under Wine:  "Unable to register C:\windows\system32\msdxm.ocx"  But then once I ran the game I saw the familiar Error 713 - Class not registered - You need MSSTDFMT.DLL

The illegibly tiny fonts problem was fixed with a trip to http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/.

Offline Another

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Tahoma font was not covered by mscorefonts package or it's variants (Kubuntu 9.10 here; maybe there is a difference between distributions?) and I found out that Wine has a native built-in tahoma.ttf that has a size of 85 kB and is nearly unreadable at small font sizes. Running Winetricks for "tahoma" or getting tahoma.ttf of at least 200 kB size from any other source into your .wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts directory greatly improves most of F9 screen to the point of "actually clearly readable but damn small".

Offline Anteep

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
i have the same problem just running native windows xp, no wine or anything like that
nevermind i fixed it

Offline Therlun

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
Quote from: "Anteep"
i have the same problem just running native windows xp, no wine or anything like that
nevermind i fixed it

I also have the same problem, but could not fix it yet. :D

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »
For Windows: Download the MSSTDFMT.DLL from an internet source of your choice and drop it into the system32 folder
choose start/run and type "regsvr32 MSSTDFMT.DLL"

Maybe i did a mistake and you have to switch to the system32 folder before by:
start/run and type "cmd"
the console opens: "cd windows\system32"
and "regsvr32 MSSTDFMT.DLL"