Author Topic: Frozen ships! with Overflow error  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Frozen ships! with Overflow error
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »
I had my system invaded by an enemy fleet of about 15 ships.  I only had 3 small frigates defending. 2 were in my home system picketing jump points, the third was at a waypoint in another system.  When the combat started, I couldnt change the targeting on one of my frigates....it would keep firing but I wanted it to shoot another ship.  MORE important was that I couldnt get it to move....nor the other 2 frigates!!  I gave order after order to move to various locations and they stayed still.  On the system map it would show that their desination was  my home planet but they wouldnt move...other non combat ships would but not any of the 3 frigates.

This whole time I began to get Error 5 overflow messages.  Luckily I had "saved" the game 2 years before.  What happened?  Why did my ships freeze?  Can i send a copy of my "Stevefire" file?  I'm only 4 years into my game so nothing too much is going on.

BTW, Fleet training is off so that isnt it.

Edit: sorry. Thought I posted this in 5.02 bugs thread. Using 5.02

Offline mikew

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: Frozen ships! with Overflow error
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
Check the ships' speed settings.  It is likely that their speed is set to 1 km/sec due to being on picket duty (or possibly 0 km/sec).  The extended time that this will take results in the overflow error as well, IIRC.

Mike

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »
Hmmm, sounds like that could be it. Wouldn't explain failure to change targets but it would the speed...how do I change ship speed? I thoight they always traveled at max speed.

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
Ok, that was it...found what I needed. I apologize for bug posting. Operator error. Sorry steve! Disregard my PM.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Ok, that was it...found what I needed. I apologize for bug posting. Operator error. Sorry steve! Disregard my PM.

You should be able to delete the PM before Steve sees it if he hasn't read it already - it should be in your outbox IIRC.

Steve has requested that everyone read this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1930 before posting bugs.  This explains the sort of information he needs, plus a request to not start new threads in Bugs - instead they should be posted to the "official" thread for the version you're using.

Finally, you might consider posting this sort of thing to The Academy next time - new users hit a lot of things that look like bugs but are actually just subtleties/operator error.  This is discussed in this thread in the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2043

Have Fun!
John

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
Will do. Again, sorry for the post. I thought I was posting in the 5.02 thread as directed, as opposed to the general bug thread by mistake.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
OK, no problem - ignore my reply :)

Steve