Author Topic: Alternate installation?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Starmantle (OP)

• Lieutenant
Alternate installation?
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
Greetings all. 

I've been running Aurora 5.54 for a while, but recently decided I'd love to update and start a new game.

Problem is... I'm still pretty attached to my old game and I'd love to be able to go back to it.

Installation is a bit complicated for me anyway, but I'm wondering if there's a way I might go about it that would leave me with my old 5.54 game in one place and an updated version in another place.

Don't worry - I don't have high hopes... but if anyone has a solution they'd like to share in simple terms, I'd just love it. 

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Alternate installation?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »
I do have two installs of Aurora on different HDs, but they are the same version, so I can´t say if that would also work in your case. I´d just give it a try after backing up the entire Aurora folder.
Given that updates usually only involve a new aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb, I don´t see a reason why it should _not_ work.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline georgiaboy1966

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:03:01 AM »
I have several copies of the game in different folders allowing to use different versions.

All you have to do id copy the complete folder into a new folder and then rename and create a new link to the exe file with a different name on the link. ie game 1, game 2.

Glen
Glen

Been a player since the Beta of SA, 1993?

"Constructive criticism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »
I have all of the original zip downloads in one location, the active Aurora.exe in another, and Stevefire.mdb in yet another.  Whenever I want to go from v5.60 to v6.21, I make a copy of v5.60 Stevefire.mdb and replace it with my last saved v6.21 Stevefire.mdb.  Then I grab Aurora.exe from the zip download of v6.21 and make it the active version.

The active Aurora.exe is not modified and remains identical to whatever you last copied there.

Offline Starmantle (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
That worked great.

Thanks, all.