Author Topic: Pre T-N colonizing  (Read 1938 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Pre T-N colonizing
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
I am going to start a game with a colony on the moon, several decades before T-N, how do I do that, if I try the pop will dye, horrible, even with infrastructure ???
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Pre T-N colonizing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
I´d guess its the gravity (or the lack of it).
You probably have to adjust the gravity tolerance for your race, as the "off the shelf" humans need a min gravity of 0.3g.
Atmosphere and temperature can be dealt with through infrastructure, gravity can´t. A body either has suitable gravity or it hasn´t.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »
I did a moon colony for several times now. The base gravity is indeed the Problem. You can go around that if you invest into Biology but that takes time or you get a orbital habitat. If your go the bio-route the Habitat may still be helpful to have your "colonists" not die in earths gravity.

Also the temperature difference is to be considered if you want a fast growing colony so you should get the base-temperature of your colonists down Or you install some terraformers. might help you there. On the lowest grav level it opens iirc 6 Moon Colonys in the entirety of sol.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
Strange, it doesnt seem to work with gravity, tried 0,3, still warning -10% pop... Tried with 1.0 gravity still the same warning..., hmmm Doesnt realy matter, can alvays put them back via SM, oh I meen Gods hand ::)
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »
When you first create the race you are using there are a couple of changes that you need to make if you want an earth based race to be able to use the moon.  The first is to change the maximum deviation in gravity.  It defaults to 50% but for you to colonize on the moon will require you to chang it to a minimum of 83%.  I prefer 85% as it is easier to remember when looking at some things.  At this point your base race will be able to colonize the moon.  You might also want to increase the temprature range they tolerate as this will help considerably with the habability index, but this is optional.  If you really want to colonize early then you might also want to use the sm functions to add some gasses so that the temprature is closer to what humans want, but that is also optional.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Or you can alter the ideal gravity to 0.65, putting both Earth and Luna into the acceptable grav range.