Author Topic: What determines if a NPR is hostile on first contact?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Jacob/Lee (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
What determines if a NPR is hostile on first contact?
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
I'm just curious as to what determines hostility on first contact.     After I jumped to Delta Trianguli, I met a race of friendly squid people with a huge fleet of "Troll" class 950 ton something ships, along with a few other mixed ships.     They suddenly vanished into the southern end of the system so I followed them and I found tons of wrecks of the previous ships.     Then, out of the insane amounts of wrecks, 3 nuke-armed ships came and stomped my jump/scout ship flat in one volley.     Many failed military vessel designs later, I had finally gotten a ship armed with 1.  4m km range lasers that is faster than they are, I then ran them down and stomped them flat.     This random hostility surely can't be a coincidence, I found the hostiles in the same system as the squid men, and they took the boot straight to the friendly ships.   

Also, I can't quite figure out why there were the "Patria" class something ships (hostiles, FYI) sitting in the middle of the wrecks.     They had missiles, but they only seemed to fire on defenseless ships.     I sent freighters + salvage ships to tear apart the wrecks and they got blown full of holes.     I sent the military out there to curb stomp the enemy and they were never fired upon.     I know they didn't run out of ammo, I recovered some kind of plasma missile from the wreck.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:04:11 PM by Jacob/Lee »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What determines if a NPR is hostile on first contact?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »
I'm just curious as to what determines hostility on first contact.     After I jumped to Delta Trianguli, I met a race of friendly squid people with a huge fleet of "Troll" class 950 ton something ships, along with a few other mixed ships.     They suddenly vanished into the southern end of the system so I followed them and I found tons of wrecks of the previous ships.     Then, out of the insane amounts of wrecks, 3 nuke-armed ships came and stomped my jump/scout ship flat in one volley.     Many failed military vessel designs later, I had finally gotten a ship armed with 1.  4m km range lasers that is faster than they are, I then ran them down and stomped them flat.     This random hostility surely can't be a coincidence, I found the hostiles in the same system as the squid men, and they took the boot straight to the friendly ships.   

Also, I can't quite figure out why there were the "Patria" class something ships (hostiles, FYI) sitting in the middle of the wrecks.     They had missiles, but they only seemed to fire on defenseless ships.     I sent freighters + salvage ships to tear apart the wrecks and they got blown full of holes.     I sent the military out there to curb stomp the enemy and they were never fired upon.     I know they didn't run out of ammo, I recovered some kind of plasma missile from the wreck.   

The universe is a mysterious place :)

Seriously, the question's you're asking are part of the fun of the game - fog of war makes up a lot for the short-comings of AI players.

John

PS - Please ask "new user" questions like this in The Academy.  Questions that are likely to have answers which are "spoilers" should go in Spoilers.