Author Topic: Changing Titan's base temperature.  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
Changing Titan's base temperature.
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
Hi to all. I'm starting a new game, and I'd like to have one of my empire start on Titan. Now, I'd like them to be human, but I cannot get Titan's temperature above -43°, which mean Titan still got a 2.0 colony cost. Is there a way to change that?

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
Re: Changing Titan's base temperature.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »
Indeed, drop some terraformers on there or put some ships with terraforming modules on there and start pumping out safe greenhouse gas from the environment summary window, one of the tabs where you find the shipyard menu, summary window etc. etc.

Be warned, ground-based terraformers need a population of 250,000 to run I believe it was. It will take a long time or lots of terraformers to make it livable, though.

EDIT: That won't change the base temperature because it can't be changed, it will change the surface temperature and make it livable, though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:50:07 PM by Jacob/Lee »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »
Ive seen this discussion frequently.  The problem is with titan's base temp.  One can never get the colony cost to zero because the base temp is too low, even with 3.9 atm of safe greenhouse gas (as I understand it).  I havn't tried, personally of course.  Nothing on titan worth landing for.

The solution is to raise a race of 8 ft tall supermen that call titan their home.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
Ive seen this discussion frequently.  The problem is with titan's base temp.  One can never get the colony cost to zero because the base temp is too low, even with 3.9 atm of safe greenhouse gas (as I understand it).  I havn't tried, personally of course.  Nothing on titan worth landing for.

The solution is to raise a race of 8 ft tall supermen that call titan their home.
I've found tons of minerals on Titan before, it can be good if you are tight on minerals and really can't afford to load it up with automated mines.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
I would think changing the base temperature is something you could do if you have the database or designer mode password(s). You can PM Steve to ask for it/them. Or maybe some one already in the know can modify a database for you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:47:53 PM by Ziusudra »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
I've found tons of minerals on Titan before, it can be good if you are tight on minerals and really can't afford to load it up with automated mines.

Yeah, its random-- my game has millions in duranium-- but it has ~75 civ sector mining facilities in place.  They'll never really run out of stuff to mine, and as that number keeps increasing it becomes a bigger and bigger proportion of my civ sector income.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm currently trying to set up a system in SM mod. I'll try with the designer password.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »
I tried in designer mode and cannot change the base temperature. Could someone explain to me how to modify the database?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
Don't want to just breed a new species of cold-weather people?

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
Well, let me explain.

I'm running an interactive Aurora game between two forum. The background is that an alien craft crushed into Antioch during the first crusade, with crusaders and muslim ech getting half of it. The crash prompted technogical revolutions, colonization of space etc etc...

A few decades laters, nuclear warfare destroy Earth and Mars. Only Titan and Mercury survive. A few century later, the colonies have grown to full-size Empire and are ready to fight again.

All in all, it'd be silly if my Titan Caliphate was made up of cold-loving non-humans.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Sheb link=topic=3833. msg37090#msg37090 date=1311016425
Well, let me explain.

I'm running an interactive Aurora game between two forum.  The background is that an alien craft crushed into Antioch during the first crusade, with crusaders and muslim ech getting half of it.  The crash prompted technogical revolutions, colonization of space etc etc. . .

A few decades laters, nuclear warfare destroy Earth and Mars.  Only Titan and Mercury survive.  A few century later, the colonies have grown to full-size Empire and are ready to fight again. 

All in all, it'd be silly if my Titan Caliphate was made up of cold-loving non-humans.

What measure is a Non-Human? If it looks human, acts human, and is in every way readily identifiable as 'Human', then by God it's human.  Don't think of it as 'Oh these guys are so extremely alien', it'd just be a group of people speeding adaptation up a little bit.  Could be that your people are more resistant to cold because their skin is insulated, or that they naturally produce extra heat due to a higher metabolism.  It's all fluff, mate.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
I tried in designer mode and cannot change the base temperature. Could someone explain to me how to modify the database?

You need Microsoft Access, I'm not sure what version. (There may be other applications that can be used; I don't know.)

After having created the game in Aurora, close Aurora, open the Stevefire.mdb in Access, then open the Game table and find the GameID for the game you want to modify. Then open the SystemBody table, find the Titan entry with that GameID and modify it's BaseTemp cell to a value of 95. Close out of Access, open the game in Aurora, turn on SM mode, open the System Information (F9) window, select Titan and click the Update Atmos button in the SM functions.

This gives Titan the same base temp as it's fellow Saturnine moons and, with the maximum greenhouse factor, a surface temperature of 11.85C.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
Damn, I don't have Access, cannot find a free equivalent and don't want to spend 180 dollars on a Aurora game. Could someone here edit the database for me if I was to send it to him?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
It's much easier to simply open the Ctrl-F2 (Race) screen and modify humans to either have a lower median temperature, or a larger acceptable temperature range.