Author Topic: Do you guys use SM mode?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
Do you guys use SM mode?
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
Or is it considered cheating to a certain extent? I am a noob and been watching youtube video's and some did use others did not? What is recommended for a noob? Thanks.   .   .

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Do you guys use SM mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
I use it all of the time since I mess with mineral amounts, research items and such all of the time. So it's easier to just have it on than try to remember to turn it on or off.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
It is an admin tool that can be used for cheating, not an explicit cheat in and of itself. Ultimately it is up to you to decide what to do with it, I'd say that as long as you aren't giving yourself techs(barring the free starting techs for a TN start), free production, or doing ship refits on the fly constantly then you are ok.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
It is in all how you use it. Depending on how I RP it I usually use it when starting a game to set things up the way i want. Stuff like adding a ruin on Mars or something to make it a RP element. I have also had games were i didn't want to research designs so after i got a new tech i could design the parts and do the instant research on that part, i have read that alot of people do this. It is almost always on for me though as after i set up my game i typically just leave it on.

-Five

Offline Ted B Schuler II

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
When I play a Conventional start I often SM in more minerals.  This is especially true if I have more than 1 player Race on Sol as a homeworld just does not have the minerals to support many conventional empires at once.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:46 AM »
I use it constantly for research, particularly when designing drone fleets to test my ordnance in, (wolf 359 may have no planets, but my war games have filled it with wreckage, thankfully it's a dead end or I might have yo worry about 'salvagers' especially those ones with lots of legs, fine body hair, and like to be dressed in gold before having their photo taken(points to anyone who has the foggiest idea wtf I'm talking about)).
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
It's also nice for trying out things like missile engines, to find out if they should be 0.01 MSP bigger or smaller.  Give them names that end in "prototype", then once you find the winning mix you can delete them and re-research them normally.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
legs, fine body hair, and like to be dressed in gold before having their photo taken(points to anyone who has the foggiest idea wtf I'm talking about)).

I have never understood what you were talking about at any point. Sorry  ;D
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
The race picture for a certain type of spoiler always seemed to be a flea in older be versions.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
ohhhhhhhhh...
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »
My first few games, I used the SM functions liberally.  It's a crutch.

Now, I still use it to set the stage at the start of the game (too much at times) and to get me out of trouble when there's a legitimate bug.

I am a little challenged by the fact I could basically "cheat" at any moment if I wanted to. 

I counteract that by writing a story as I go.  Keeping track of everything and slowing down the game's progression to really optimize strategy and opportunity for story and internal strife. 

In that context, I somehow find it much easier to resist retreating to SM mode.  And experience helps too. 

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
Aurora is mostly about making a cool story. SM mode is always permissible if it makes the story work. For example, if you didn't realize that your ship only has 3 days of fuel, and you send it on a great mission to intercept the alien menace, I think it's permissible to work around that.

Offline Xeluc

• Leading Rate
  • X
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
I use SM for when I make a stupid mistake in ship design. My view is to only use SM when you do something that you shortly later feel is stupid. Building a cargo vessel without a cargo handler for example; Or a deep space explorer that I forgot to put a jump engine on. It's important to me that I don't use sm to actually change the course of things though. It's like a second chance.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:59:30 PM by Xeluc »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:02 AM »
To refit a PDC it is a requirement unfortunately.  I've also used it to get around an odd buggy situation or another mostly I leave it off.

The game's randomness also means you may need to use it for minerals...and for conventional starts it is pretty much a requirement.  It would be a good idea to have the game do that automatically (double or triple the amount found on the home world) when it comes down to it.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »
and for conventional starts it is pretty much a requirement.  It would be a good idea to have the game do that automatically (double or triple the amount found on the home world) when it comes down to it.

No, it's not.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "