Author Topic: how do you guys record your AARs  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Hydrofoil (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
how do you guys record your AARs
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
Exactly what it says on the titles i want to write an AAR bit of fiction but im struggling to keep tabs on events and stuff to record them how do you guys go about it?

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
Re: how do you guys record your AARs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
I record on a word file by date. I try to write in such a way that I can come back to the file months later and be able to read what I wrote, so I avoid short hand whenever possible. Then I write the actual story in another word file. Here is a section of my notes for my recently died Republic of Earth AAR.

Code: [Select]
January 2050
Terraforming Task Group enters Mars orbit to start terraforming the planet.
Large amounts of minerals found on Venus and the Cargo Task Group starts shipping automated mines to the planet while Earth starts creating two mass drivers, one of which will be moved to Venus.
On the 6th Mars was mapped by Geology Task Group 1 lead by Captain Cornelius Schneider of the Darwin and found to have a decent amount of Boronide and a lot of Vendarite, almost 6 million tons but both were hard to find. The first jump point was found by Gravity Survey Group 2 lead by Commander Norris Burrus of the Fermi.
The mass drivers are completed on the 8th and one is send to Venus on the 11th after field testing.
On the 29th over 25 million tons of Sorium was found on Uranus but it was not the most accessible.

February 2050
Commander Merry Couture of the Enterprise leads the Enterprise and the Valiant to the jump point starting on the 3rd. It’s a journey of 1.89 bkm and will take four days and just under nine hours. At 22:44:00 on 7th Feb, the Jump Exploration Task Group became the first two human vessels to make a jump. They landed in Alpha Centauri just inside the orbit of Alpha Centarui A III.

At 22:49 EST Jump Exploration Task Group make first contact with an alien group living on Alpha Centauri A II. The Enterprise turned on active sensors and the task group started toward Alpha Centauri A II with the intention of orbiting the planet at 100,000 km. At 2,000 km/s it would take just shy of 22 hours to reach the planet. At 08:09 3 ships were discovered. All three were 8,400 tons, one was designated Orc class, one Hydra class, and the third Vampire class. These ships were at the edge of the LASS at 33.6 million km. Twenty minutes later a fourth ship class was detected, it was called the Chimera was 1,000 tons and found at a distance of ~722,000km. The other three ships were seen to go 1714 km/s so the task group started heading back to the jump point still at 2,000 km/s. They are nine hours forty minutes out. The Chimera turned on active sensors that appear to only have a range of 8.76 million km. The Chimera can also keep pace at 2,000 km/s so the task group speeds up by 500 km/s which reduces their journey to 6 hours 56 minutes by this time the Chimera is 9,000 km astern. Within 30 seconds of speeding up the Chimera has sped up to 2499 km/s so the task group speeds up by another 250 km/s. The Chimera starts falling astern not speeding up to catch the task group while the other three ships continue at 1714 km/s.

At 10:39 they attempt to make establish communications. At 15:49:11 they transit back into Sol. A diplomatic team made up of Commander Gene Jetton, Brigadier General Ahmed Patin, Commander Aretha McArthy, Charla Stratford, and Lieutenant Commander Edgardo Figg are set to start trying to decipher the communications of the aliens.

Another segment later looks like

Code: [Select]
15th May
JETG jumped into Sirius, a binary star system with the second star orbiting at 20 AU from the first. There are six planets orbiting Sirius A, four inside the orbit of Sirius B and two outside. There are also two planets orbiting Sirius B.

17th June
Morrical Freight Company launched a Morrical Small F5 class Freighter, the first civilian ship ever launched.

3rd July
First colonists settle on Mars.
Postlewaite launches a Postelwaite Large F5 class Freighter, the first ship for that company.

17th July
MFC launches a Morrical H5 class Fuel Harvester, the first ship of its kind ever.

20th July
Geology Task Group 1 finishes surveying all the planets and moves to Neptune and is retasked to survey the moons. Geology Task Group 2 has surveyed all moons out to Saturn and is currently working on Uranus.
The Coontz finishes building the jump gate at Alpha Centauri and heads toward Sirius to build a jump gate there.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
Check the logs directory too.

Offline Hydrofoil (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
Check the logs directory too.

nothing in my logs directory >_>

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
The logs directory is off the root of the drive you installed to. It should have a yearly log per race.

Offline Hydrofoil (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:14:05 AM »
The logs directory is off the root of the drive you installed to. It should have a yearly log per race.

aaah im using the portable version of the game is the file still out of the root?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
That I am not sure.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
I usually write the events in the AAR as they happen in the game. I have Word open at the same time as Aurora and just tab between them.

Steve

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
I usually write the events in the AAR as they happen in the game. I have Word open at the same time as Aurora and just tab between them.

Steve
That is similar to what I do. I just write it as notes as I go. I find its generally easier for me to write a story off notes while in a writing mood.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »
I have little experience with it all, but I merely keep the events window open to quickly glance at events as they occur, and keep 2 text files open, one ill type a rough draft of events occurring,first a rough summary of what happened in the log altered to a characters perspective if needed, then I'll type under that a rough summary of the actions I'm taking during the turn, new construction, research, new ships components etc, then I'll run any battle that may occur. The second notepad I have open will contain notes to myself about things I'll need to add at some point, ideas for plot, observations, characters that I may introduce etc. also my current game is historical so I have a timeline of real events and another fictitious timeline for changes I'll make, or rough ideas I might include when I reach that point. Time will tell if this system will work.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
I use the log files.  I then reformat them and edit them.  I do this every 6 month if nothing exciting happened....currently I have 3 x 6 month worth of time to write up.   Then I add story parts covering what happened or that was extra to the game mechanics.  I take hand notes during the turns at times.  But the event logs are good for tracking stuff like ship movement, lately I've also been using the orders history page of task forces as that lets me see what they did exactly.

Yes guys I'll start updating again once I'm over the jet lag.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
I also write my LP as I go along.  This can make it take a long time (I average about 4 hours per one in-game week), but I report on basically everything that happens.