Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 271191 times)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #780 on: June 25, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »
Two usability improvements.

First, the game reuses alien class names in a really confusing way.  I was taking over someone else's system, and I kept having classes flagged with reporting names, then learning the real name of the class, then having the name get reused for a new, completely different class.  For some names, this happened more than once.  It would be extremely nice if it just crossed the name off even when you found out the proper name.

Second, when you use the autoroute by system, it currently sorts systems alphabetically.  This is annoying when you have a 100+ systems, and keep wanting to send ships back to Sol, most of the way down the list.  I want to go to populated systems far more often than I want to go to empty ones, after all, and I doubt I'm alone in this.  So why not sort to show populated systems first, then unpopulated systems with colonies, then empty systems?
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

The following users thanked this post: Black, Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #781 on: June 25, 2020, 01:03:01 PM »
Second, when you use the autoroute by system, it currently sorts systems alphabetically.  This is annoying when you have a 100+ systems, and keep wanting to send ships back to Sol, most of the way down the list.  I want to go to populated systems far more often than I want to go to empty ones, after all, and I doubt I'm alone in this.  So why not sort to show populated systems first, then unpopulated systems with colonies, then empty systems?

+1 points to Griffindor!

Jokes aside I agree and second this motion

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #782 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »

Definitely this.

As a workaround that does what you're asking, rename them by putting a space in front of their name, they'll be in their own sort at the top of the list.  i.e. "Sol" becomes " Sol".  All the names with space will be above all the names without.  When they get to be too numerous, and you have a couple really important colonies, add another space, al the names with two leading spaces will be above the names with only one leading space.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #783 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »

Definitely this.

As a workaround that does what you're asking, rename them by putting a space in front of their name, they'll be in their own sort at the top of the list.  i.e. "Sol" becomes " Sol".  All the names with space will be above all the names without.  When they get to be too numerous, and you have a couple really important colonies, add another space, al the names with two leading spaces will be above the names with only one leading space.
The problem with renaming systems, including this method and using routing numbers, is that it breaks themes.  Every new system will be given the first name in whichever theme you are using.

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf

Offline S1mancoder

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #784 on: June 25, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
Would be very nice and logical if Refueling/Ordnance transfer system performance would stack (atm.  they do not).  This is seem like a very easy implement by itself, and if the balance is a consideration (to prevent almost instant combar ressuply from "flying magazine" ship) then this can already be done with multiple smaller reloader ships (that would also have smaller cross section and thus less vulnerable to detection).

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #785 on: June 28, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »

Definitely this.

The problem with renaming systems, including this method and using routing numbers, is that it breaks themes.  Every new system will be given the first name in whichever theme you are using.

It would take some interface work; but the central options tickbox box in the movement orders isn't actually used with autoroute by system, is it? So, how about just having autoroute filter and sort options in there while Autoroute by System is selected? Show populated/colonized-unpopulated/uncolonized systems and desc-sort by population/[maybe # of colonies or total # of installations/AMs].

Since this is the suggestions thread and the universe of ideas and wishful thinking: Sort by number of jumps and sort by distance from starting system (=where in the orders list one switches to autoroute by system) might be useful options there at times as well.
At least they would be for me as the inhabited part of my current empire crosses the 50 b km star-to-star cross-section mark with ion engines, and sometimes I want to weigh possible destinations for installations or survey ships based on speed/deployment effeciency.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #786 on: June 28, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
While we are begging for autoroute improvements, I'd like to add that it would be really nice if autoroute (and the related refuel/resupply standing orders) would actually find the shortest path.  At the scale of Aurora jump point networks, Dijkstra's algorithm (aka uniform cost search) should be effectively free.  It's rather annoying to watch my survey ships run out of fuel because they took a route 20% longer than the actual correct path.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, serger, Demakustus, skoormit, Fir4s

Offline S1mancoder

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #787 on: June 29, 2020, 06:00:59 AM »
Would be nice if NPR's (at least special ones suffer from this) STO's would have sensor enabled (which would let them actually engage targets) and if large caliber (any arbitrary way to determine) then mode set to target ships, not all point defence.
Kinda sad to see that NPR 20-ish strength 37 laser battery sitting sensors off and in PD mode.

Offline rekrats

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #788 on: June 29, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »
A nice feature would be if i could set jump point construction ships to automatically stabilize Lagrange points like i could set the to automatically build nearest jump gate.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #789 on: June 30, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
A nice feature would be if i could set jump point construction ships to automatically stabilize Lagrange points like i could set the to automatically build nearest jump gate.

I am intrigued.
I'm a huge fan of stabilizing Lagrange points, but I find that I leave most available LP points alone, either because they don't improve any possible routes, or they take too long to be worthwhile.
Are you really stabilizing all of the available LPs?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #790 on: June 30, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
That would be a lot of Lagrange points, you can stabilize large-ish moons even (in fact its kindof critical for having fast routs out to distant gas giants).

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #791 on: June 30, 2020, 10:51:21 PM »
That would be a lot of Lagrange points, you can stabilize large-ish moons even (in fact its kindof critical for having fast routs out to distant gas giants).
Reaching gas giants and secondary stars is why the Lagrange point system exists in the first place.  Stabilizing an inner system body helps with that, but otherwise I can't think of any reason to ever stabilize an LP.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #792 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:29 AM »
I feel like this must have been suggested before, but it would be nice if in the ship design menu, you had the same window as the 'select name' window from the shipyard screen.  It would make it a lot easier to figure out what the different name themes have to offer.

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #793 on: July 01, 2020, 03:23:38 AM »
I feel like this must have been suggested before, but it would be nice if in the ship design menu, you had the same window as the 'select name' window from the shipyard screen.  It would make it a lot easier to figure out what the different name themes have to offer.

Sorry if I miss understanding what you are saying, but  the same screen is available. Third button top row.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #794 on: July 01, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Reaching gas giants and secondary stars is why the Lagrange point system exists in the first place.  Stabilizing an inner system body helps with that, but otherwise I can't think of any reason to ever stabilize an LP.

I also find that it is not uncommon for an LP at an outer planet of a primary star to provide a nice shortcut for getting to/from a nearby JP.
The farther out, the better, since that means a slower orbit, and a longer time during which the LP is in a useful position.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage