Author Topic: Stories  (Read 50542 times)

Offline Thanatos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: Stories
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »
Hello there.

I've started playing Aurora.... about five days ago. I've read a lot of posts here and on other forums about how hard the game is to get into, but I find the interface very self-explanatory and just perfect. It has all the functionality it needs. Aurora is like a dream come true.

So first of all, I'd like to thank you, Steve, for making this game available to us (and me) even though, as I understand, you made it for your own pleasure.

In return, as I like to kill time by writing, I'd like to write stories from a slightly different perspective (From other races, for example) for your entertainment, if you decide to read them, and for other people. Just to show the extent of my gratitude, if you like the stories, I'll give you you complete ownership over those you like.

PS: The first Campaign I'll be writing about I intend to title "Destroyer Campaign: Ascension".

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
Quote from: "Thanatos"
Hello there.

I've started playing Aurora.... about five days ago. I've read a lot of posts here and on other forums about how hard the game is to get into, but I find the interface very self-explanatory and just perfect. It has all the functionality it needs. Aurora is like a dream come true.

So first of all, I'd like to thank you, Steve, for making this game available to us (and me) even though, as I understand, you made it for your own pleasure.

In return, as I like to kill time by writing, I'd like to write stories from a slightly different perspective (From other races, for example) for your entertainment, if you decide to read them, and for other people. Just to show the extent of my gratitude, if you like the stories, I'll give you you complete ownership over those you like.

PS: The first Campaign I'll be writing about I intend to title "Destroyer Campaign: Ascension".
Awesome and u r welcome!

Same as you say above,this Game r The Dream become real,am an very older RolePlaying player,from Traveller on 1979 >> 2007 when am found Aurora..:D
If in 1979 this game was coming..= Sci-Fi sure:D..

Steve r our Hero.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
Quote from: "Thanatos"
Hello there.

Good to hear you are enjoying the game and I look forward to reading your stories. Don't worry about ownership as all the stories posted on here are free for everyone to read

Steve

Offline Thanatos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 02:16:20 AM »
So, hmm, was wondering if I can get a sub-forum thingy, like Erik or Steve, where I can post my Campaigns/Stories?

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
I just found this game about 2-3 weeks ago, after a goggle search on most complex game for the pc, I am glad I downloaded and have been mucking around with it.  I like long complex games I even played WITP from go to wo, so this is right down my alley.

I would like to make a story or (aar) based on a beginner view to exploration, similar to humans entering the galaxy for the first time, I think my novice to the game will create some interesting twists and turns.

I played enough to get some flimsy basics of user interface and ordering.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storyline:

Earth from 2010 to 2025 has taken some major turns, first the US government had a major leak of classified information about Roswell, which proved aliens do exist and have visited our planet.  This was the first stone in a quiet pool of water which turned into a period know as "the Changing".

The Changing a first, caused panic amongst the population with large amounts of rioting and social unrest.  Although much of the social unrest was tensions that already existed, this was the spark that ignited the gas can.  Various major blocs had different impacts place upon them.

China was the worse effected, which resulted in the toppling of the communist government.   Ccivil disobedience, social unrest, followed civil war.  Unlike the first civil war, it was not won by a march, but bitter battles.  Neighbour against Neighbour, brother against brother, until only a new republic and flag remained, and quite a few mass graves.

The European Union and the United States, even though civil unrest was strong, was able to contain the violence with martial law and evoking acts in the various government for hard suppression, in fact the EU grew to include Russia and various non EU-related states in the neighbourhood.

The Third World countries turned to religion or made new religions to pronounce the visitors as Gods.  The established religions  first fought with words then escalated to violence attacks of martyrdom for all sides suffered.

The Middle East remain much the same as it was in 2010, still too much turmoil to distinguish any change.  The world became more like the Middle East, everyone that had a gripe with whoever decided it was now to be paid in blood.

By 2015, the world was in the 'crapper', meanwhile major corporations still kept gathering resources and trading, as well as some initiating some questionable research.  The Corps rise to power resulted in the governments diminished power.  One corporation "BrightStar" was gaining more traction then many of the other corporations, this was mainly due to their marketing slogan "Reach for the Stars" although tacty, had an extreme amount of capital raised by Ma and Pa investors, the human race now desired to be pioneers again.

By 2020 the BrightStar had a monopoly on virtually every industry, private armies, power over the majority of governments, it could replace every government with a single corporate rule. 

But they didn't, they encouraged a revised UN with uniform laws, equity of resources, limited local government control, and administration ideals.  Respect, Honor and Equity were the motto of this body every law and administration ideal conformed to the motto.

Some people suspect that the puppeteer needed a body of people, that could take away the blame foe longevity of power.  Others believed it was a benevolent act based on how humanity had suffered the last 1000 years.  Most did not care because it worked, and that is all, that mattered.

Now Humans were ready for space and ready to deal with anyone who was out there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope the back story is enough to get a sub forum, I do understand this is a first post but what better way to start then an exciting adventure in a game I have really enjoyed in such as small amount of time.

I need some knowledge first up although this is not the right place it still relates to the story line.

I looking for a game that will see that earth will make friends and enemies with various worlds, some larger some smaller.  Although good by nature the corporation may influence the government to take for various interest to the human race but it more inline with peace.

My knowledge needed is around the setup options, I am thinking vary much the defaults.  Please let me know if this is right, for the story.  PS remember I am a noob to Aurora and do not want it too difficult, which is the fun in being a noob.

Empire Title     Terran Union
Theme            United States
Goverment Type    Confederation --- Was thinking Corporate Government not sure what is best on the back story
Trans-Newtonian Empire or Conventional -- Still do not know the difference here, read a litttle.

Non Player Race Generation is 50% I wanted
Non-NPR - Default
Computer controlled NPRs Default - Unsure in more then 1 should be here, does this limit the amount of large alien empires there is I would like more then 1

Everything thing else is default.

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »
asking costs nothing, so here i go to ask:
can i post my fiction on aurora? it might be boring to many (heck! no space ship battles!...yet) still, it might be funny to read about how a total newb ended up in a system in which the only corundium resource, (a part a meager 5600 on earth) was a 7 corundium...on an asteroid...
on the external chainbelt.
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
asking costs nothing, so here i go to ask:
can i post my fiction on aurora? it might be boring to many (heck! no space ship battles!...yet) still, it might be funny to read about how a total newb ended up in a system in which the only corundium resource, (a part a meager 5600 on earth) was a 7 corundium...on an asteroid...
on the external chainbelt.

That's the purpose behind the forum, for people to post their fiction. :)

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 01:33:14 AM »
That's the purpose behind the forum, for people to post their fiction. :)

so...can i have section ? *_*
pretty please with sugar on tops? >.>
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline RedKing

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
Any chance of getting a section for my games? Got a good, gritty game going right now with an Earth-based military dictatorship trying to deal with Wraiths (i. e.  Precursors), while vastly outclassed in tech.  I decided for a challenge to make gauss cannon-armed fighters one of my primary weapons.  They don't fare so well against Precursor AMM and gauss cannon platforms.   :o

I've been keeping copious notes in-game and using some 3rd party apps to generate some nice maps and such of key systems. 

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
Any chance of getting a section for my games? Got a good, gritty game going right now with an Earth-based military dictatorship trying to deal with Wraiths (i. e.  Precursors), while vastly outclassed in tech.  I decided for a challenge to make gauss cannon-armed fighters one of my primary weapons.  They don't fare so well against Precursor AMM and gauss cannon platforms.   :o

I've been keeping copious notes in-game and using some 3rd party apps to generate some nice maps and such of key systems. 

All you need to do is ask ;)

Offline MrAnderson

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Mind giving me a subforum for my stories? Working on a rather creative scenario with fancy backline.  The quick backline is before the Precursors died from the Invaders, they built a cloaked facility underground, that had a computer with all their technological data, and a factory that produced robots that had free will, other than their purpose; prepare the galaxy for the eventual return of a large Precursor fleet that moved to another galaxy to conquer it.  It has a good 35 years already written, but they kind of had a bit of a "gimped" start, with 20 CI, 5 maintenance facilities, a 1000 ton shipyard, a single research lab, and ten million starting population.  And on a slight side note, for writing stories, I usually make a mediumish detailed "timeline" of sorts, that includes MAJOR events, such as political reforms and other fluff that is relevant, and battles.  Later on, I add more 1st person events that may or may not have been told in the timeline, but with alot more detail.

Offline RedKing

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 07:18:19 AM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=912. msg41336#msg41336 date=1318781167
All you need to do is ask ;)
Much obliged.

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
Now that I have a few games under my belt, I've been thinking about doing some AARs.   For my next actual game (right now I'm trying the BSG Challenge that I just found, heh) I plan on going full out Empire themed.   I actually have a bit of backstory ready from another project of mine, and none of the Imperial themed stories here quite fit into how I do it.

A place to put them would be rather nice.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 08:30:43 AM »
Odd request: I'd like a subforum to post stuff, but rather than getting titled 'Sublight's fiction' I'd like it to be titled 'Multiplayer fiction' or some such.

I'd like to write up/compile fiction from multiple perspectives based on a multiplayer Aurora4x game I'm starting up. Since I have doubt I'll ever type up my solo-campaigns, I thought I'd offer to have the subforum act as a repository for anyone doing fiction on multiplayer games where players looking for a multiplayer game write up could easily find them.

Edit: If that's a problem I'll be happy with a genericly titled subform.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:40:04 AM by sublight »

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »
Since this seems to be the thread to request it in, I'd like a sub-forum for some fiction. I've been meaning to try a couple of campaign ideas for months now, but I've been procrastinating for no good reason. Maybe seeing my name every time I scroll down the forums'll give me some encouragement, heh.