Author Topic: 2 quick questions about mining  (Read 1955 times)

Offline jejo68 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
2 quick questions about mining
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Just two questions

1) how do mining ships work ? well for once how do I set them to start mining and secondly what happens to the mineral. will they carry it in cargo or deposit it on the asteroid/planet ?

2) what happens to asteroids when you mine them ? will they dissapear or will they just get mined out ?

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
Re: 2 quick questions about mining
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
Quote from: "jejo68"
Just two questions

1) how do mining ships work ? well for once how do I set them to start mining and secondly what happens to the mineral. will they carry it in cargo or deposit it on the asteroid/planet ?

You set the asteroid/planet as a colony using F9.  Then the mining ship will mine the ore and set them on the surface.  You can then use a cargo ship to get the ore.

Quote from: "jejo68"
2) what happens to asteroids when you mine them ? will they dissapear or will they just get mined out ?

They just get mined out.  You are likely only decreasing the mass of the asteroid by 1-2% (not enough to have a game impact).

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"

You set the asteroid/planet as a colony using F9.  Then the mining ship will mine the ore and set them on the surface.  You can then use a cargo ship to get the ore.

Can you use a mass driver instead of a cargo ship?  When would a mining ship be a better idea than automated mines?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Can you use a mass driver instead of a cargo ship?  When would a mining ship be a better idea than automated mines?
If the destination is in the same system, a mass driver is easier. Mining ships are generally cheaper in terms of the cost per mine but can only be used for asteroids. Also, they have to be built in shipyards while automated mines can be churned out by factories.

Steve

Offline jejo68 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
cool. thanks

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
Quote from: "Elmo"

Yes, but if I was going to take the time to drop off a mass driver, I'd be taking automated mines as well.  I prefer automated mines to mining ships.

However, if I saw a bunch of high availability but low value asteroids, I'd probably send a mining ship out to dig the ore and then have a cargo ship make a run once there were a few mined out asteroids.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
If the destination is in the same system, a mass driver is easier. Mining ships are generally cheaper in terms of the cost per mine but can only be used for asteroids. Also, they have to be built in shipyards while automated mines can be churned out by factories.

Steve

So Mining Ships can't be used for Comets?

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
Sorry to double post, but I thought of another mobile mining question. If you attach a Civilian Administrator with a mining Bonus to the Asteroid will it affect the ships?

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Quote from: "Yonder"
Sorry to double post, but I thought of another mobile mining question. If you attach a Civilian Administrator with a mining Bonus to the Asteroid will it affect the ships?

Try it out!

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
Quote from: "Yonder"

Try it out!

Looks like it does apply the bonus. It also worked when I assigned an Administrator to a civilian mining complex.

Offline Mikeck

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
On a similar note, is there a particular advantage to dropping off an automatic mine onto a planet/asteroid vs a mine? I have both and I haven't figured the difference...although as I write this I am fearing that a colony requires a population to use a regular mine...noticeably absent on asteroids and non-hab planets.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
On a similar note, is there a particular advantage to dropping off an automatic mine onto a planet/asteroid vs a mine? I have both and I haven't figured the difference...although as I write this I am fearing that a colony requires a population to use a regular mine...noticeably absent on asteroids and non-hab planets.

Correct in one....

John