Author Topic: Customized interrupts?  (Read 1472 times)

Offline VariousArtist (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
Customized interrupts?
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
Hello,
is it possible to set customized interrupts e.g. for finished research or idle industry? My heart's bleeding when I see those poor workers without something to do only because Im a lazy bastard! ;)

thx

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Customized interrupts?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »
An interrupt is thrown when research is finished and when production (facility/missile/fighter/SY) is finished.

You get an interrupt on every 5-day when a research lab is sitting idle, but not when a construction yard is sitting idle.

I play with 'Show Events' enabled on the System Map, that way you get to see every event without having to reopen the actual event window.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
Quote from: "VariousArtist"
Hello,
is it possible to set customized interrupts e.g. for finished research or idle industry? My heart's bleeding when I see those poor workers without something to do only because Im a lazy bastard! ;)

thx

You can always populate the que.  There does appear to be a bug with scientist assignment for qued research projects though.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
Hm, Im quite sure that finished research does not throw an interrupt!

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »
Hm, Im quite sure that finished research does not throw an interrupt!

I belive, you are right and wrong at the same time :)

You are right in that if, for example, your research will be finished in 16 hours, aurora will not stop to tell you so.
You are wrong too, because research and construction are not checked on a minute by minute / hour by hour base but only every 5 day increment (I belive Steve said something about lessening the strain on the system)
If, during the last 5-day-increment, a research project finishes, an interrupt will come up at the end of this 5-day-increment, stopping auto-turn and telling you about it.
Personally, I make sure, I have a follow-up research project in the queue, to prevent wasting research points.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
Afaik the assignment of follow up research is bugged somehow?
Also, Im aware of the 5day increments for production/research, but Im still sure that I was running over a longer time that 10days over the end of research. Have to recheck that.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Also, Im aware of the 5day increments for production/research, but Im still sure that I was running over a longer time that 10days over the end of research. Have to recheck that.

You need to queue a project for the same researcher.  When the task the researcher is currently working on ends, the remaining RP (or maybe the remaining time) are applied to the queued task.

Construction used to work the same way, but with the change to the variable percentage stuff, it appears that the factories simply sit idle until the next econ update when a project ends.  This is something I'd REALLY like to have fixed, since it leads to a lot of micromanagement if you are doing a lot of small projects.

Are you doing 5-day (or 30-day) increments?  An econ cycle hits at the end of the first increment which is more than 40,000 seconds (5 days) past the end of the previous econ cycle.  So if you end an increment at 39,000 seconds, then hit the 5-day advance button, you can get a ~10 day econ cycle.

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
I am not aware of any bugs in queued research. I am using this a lot at the moment in my own campaign without any issues. What type of problems are you encountering? Completed research will cause an interrupt in a 5-day increment. Unused Research labs will also cause an interrupt in a 5-day increment.

Steve

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
I havent had any problems. I think I read somewhere about problems with queuing, but maybe Ive missed that it was already outdated. Not sure, cos I cant find the post I was reading. Ive just avoided to use it cos of that.