Author Topic: So many questons  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
So many questons
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
I finished the wiki tutorial, but it just wasn't enough (surprisingly since it took me 5 days to finish). So i have a ton of questions to ask, which will double later as i play and come up with something else i cant figure out every 5 minutes.

1) I have a PDC, but made the mistake of giving it lasers....What should i do?

2) What does automated turns do? Someone told me if the computer wants to make several 5 second time increments, it would make them do that until the time period i wanted is up, but when i turned it on it just kept on skipping 5 minutes every second and in the event is said "last time increment 5 seconds" over and over.

3) How do jump points work (be specific)

4) How do i build ships? I have 4 shipyards but I can't figure out how to build anything.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: So many questons
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
Quote from: "Micro102"
I finished the wiki tutorial, but it just wasn't enough (surprisingly since it took me 5 days to finish). So i have a ton of questions to ask, which will double later as i play and come up with something else i cant figure out every 5 minutes.

1) I have a PDC, but made the mistake of giving it lasers....What should i do?

2) What does automated turns do? Someone told me if the computer wants to make several 5 second time increments, it would make them do that until the time period i wanted is up, but when i turned it on it just kept on skipping 5 minutes every second and in the event is said "last time increment 5 seconds" over and over.

4) How do i build ships? I have 4 shipyards but I can't figure out how to build anything.

Did you read the FAQ/Tutorials?  If you did, you'd see a request to post new user questions like this in The Academy....

Some answers:

1)  Two choices:

A)  Live with it.  Publicly execute your chief engineer :-), then have his successor design a new PDC that will actually shoot stuff down and build it.  (Note that refitting of PDCs seems to be broke - they're still the old class at the end of the refit.  This can be fixed by using SM mode to either edit the original design after you've done the refit, or delete the old PDC and instant-OOB new ones.

B)  Use SM mode to alter reality, as described above in the "This can be fixed by..."

2)  See the tutorials.

3)  I assume Steve covered this in the tutorials.  If not, I know I made an initial post about it in the FAQ.

4)  Tutorials.

John

ERIK/STEVE - Could someone please move this thread to The Academy?

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
I read the tutorial on the wiki, so unless the tutorial on the forums is updated, the tutorial doesn't have enough information for me.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »
I read the tutorial on the wiki, so unless the tutorial on the forums is updated, the tutorial doesn't have enough information for me.

The tutorial on the wiki is almost certainly out of date.  There is a board in this forum called "Tutorials".
EDIT:  This is incorrect - Erik says downstream that they are the same (at least as of early Feb '10) in the wiki as here.

John
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:24:38 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Micro102 (OP)

• M
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
Here is to reading that entire thing again  ;(

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

The tutorial on the wiki is almost certainly out of date.  There is a board in this forum called "Tutorials".

John

The tutorials on the wiki labelled 4.77 are the same ones as here.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
Ok - so I got that one wrong (about the tutorials being out of date).

This is in the "Aurora's Time Increment system" tutorial.  If no interrupt events happened in the last increment, it will repeatedly run another increment for you of the same size until an interrupt event happens (or you uncheck the box).
Please read the post I made about jump ships in the FAQ, then if you're still confused please ask again in The Academy.
This is discussed in the Shipyards and Shipbuilding tutorial, but it looks like Steve doesn't actually walk you through the process.  First you have to design a class using the F5 screen.  Then you need to retool the SY (using the "manage SY" tab of the F2 screen) for the class you want to build - the SY needs to be big enough, of course, and commercial SY can't work on military classes.  This is done with the "Shipyard Complex Activity" panel.  Once the SY is tooled for the class (which should happen right away if this is the first class for that SY), then select "Construction" in the Create Task panel and hit the "Create Task" button - the number of available slipways should go down and an new task should appear in the "SY tasks" tab.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
Moved to The Academy from FAQ