Author Topic: Possibility to play as an exploration game ?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline flap (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • f
Possibility to play as an exploration game ?
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
Hello,

I have never played that game, and won't before a few months as I am traveling now. However, I am wondering if it is possible to play this game as an exploration one : you would have a good ship, (or a small fleet) and the target would only be to explore as much as possible.

Some requirement for that could be :
- the requirement to get fuel/food/maintenance for your ship
- the possibility to buy/do it in aliens/humans planets
- to able to a have some diplomatic contact (as a single ship rather than an whole specie)
- Not to have to take care of the whole human race

Maybe a simple way to do that would be to create a new race next to the humans (the humans being played by AI), with a very good diplomatic rating with the players race. I know very little about the game, so I don't know what else could be required...

So what are your thought on it ? Is it already possible ? Would it be interesting ?  Would there be much work to make it possible ?

Well, anyway, I am very likely to give it a try when I am back to a sedentary life.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Possibility to play as an exploration game ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
Quote from: "flap"
Hello,

I have never played that game, and won't before a few months as I am traveling now. However, I am wondering if it is possible to play this game as an exploration one : you would have a good ship, (or a small fleet) and the target would only be to explore as much as possible.

Some requirement for that could be :
- the requirement to get fuel/food/maintenance for your ship
- the possibility to buy/do it in aliens/humans planets
- to able to a have some diplomatic contact (as a single ship rather than an whole specie)
- Not to have to take care of the whole human race

Maybe a simple way to do that would be to create a new race next to the humans (the humans being played by AI), with a very good diplomatic rating with the players race. I know very little about the game, so I don't know what else could be required...

So what are your thought on it ? Is it already possible ? Would it be interesting ?  Would there be much work to make it possible ?

Well, anyway, I am very likely to give it a try when I am back to a sedentary life.
You could create a suitable fleet and explore the galaxy. You would need the right mix of ships, which would be similar to the thread about a wandering Empire.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
Moved to The Academy from FAQ.

Offline flap (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • f
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »
Thank you for the reply !
And sorry for the wrong directory selection (as well has double posting. I thought that my first had been lost...)