Author Topic: Tug Desgin  (Read 3611 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Tug Desgin
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
Hi Guys...

I now have a design for a Civilian Tug and I was wondering if it would work?  In addition,
if I was using it to get a damaged Military vessel would I need a Jump drive if there was no
Jump Gate?  And just selecting Transit will work for both vessels??

Tug class Tug    15000 tons     451 Crew     1712.4 BP      TCS 300  TH 1296  EM 0
8640 km/s     Armour 1-54     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 143 MSP    Max Repair 108 MSP
Tractor Beam    

IC Fusion Drive E0.78 (9)    Power 288    Fuel Use 7.8%    Signature 144    Armour 0    Exp 2%
Fuel Capacity 600,000 Litres    Range 923.1 billion km   (1236 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

Also, does anyone have a design for a Carrier?   I am almost ready to design one form my Emperium's Dawn Campaign

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Tug Desgin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:05:35 AM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
Hi Guys...

I now have a design for a Civilian Tug and I was wondering if it would work?  In addition,
if I was using it to get a damaged Military vessel would I need a Jump drive if there was no
Jump Gate?  And just selecting Transit will work for both vessels??

Tug class Tug    15000 tons     451 Crew     1712.4 BP      TCS 300  TH 1296  EM 0
8640 km/s     Armour 1-54     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 143 MSP    Max Repair 108 MSP
Tractor Beam    

IC Fusion Drive E0.78 (9)    Power 288    Fuel Use 7.8%    Signature 144    Armour 0    Exp 2%
Fuel Capacity 600,000 Litres    Range 923.1 billion km   (1236 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

Also, does anyone have a design for a Carrier?   I am almost ready to design one form my Emperium's Dawn Campaign
IIRC you will need a military jump drive to take a military ship through a Jump Point without a Jump Gate.
Welchbloke

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »
Does the size of the Military Jump Drive matter for the size of the vessel being
towed or jumped three the Jump Point?  Thanks

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
Does the size of the Military Jump Drive matter for the size of the vessel being
towed or jumped three the Jump Point?  Thanks

A few points:

1)  Both.  From the point of view of the jump, they're both just ships in the TG. (At least that's the way it should work :-) ).

2)  Note that the criterion for whether a ships is allowed through a commercial wormhole is not whether it's military or not, it's whether it's got military engines or not.  Based upon this, I would expect (in the philisophical sense) you to be able to tow a military ship through a commercial wormhole using a commercial tug (the tow would just turn off its engines for the transit).  In "reality", however, I suspect that Steve has coded it up simply to look for military drives in the TG, in other words I suspect that ships with military drives can only transit military wormholes.  Note that you can dodge this by putting both a military and commercial jump ship at the WP, then breaking the tow for transit (i.e. break into two TG), transitting independently, the reestablishing the tow.
Note that Steve might not want to "fix" this, as it would create an exploit where military ships could use a commercial jump ship if commercial tugs were present - the technobble for this would be something like "the unstable the commercial wormhole is also destabilized by the high energy levels present in tractor beams".

3)  It's probably a bad idea to put a jump drive on your tug - you'll be lugging all the (expensive) extra mass of the jump engine around when you're tugging, and extra engines are a very expensive way to pad up a jump ships's size when it's acting as a jump ship.  A much better idea is to have a dedicated jump ship which has enough capacity to handle the tug and/or tow.

John

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
Better yet, if you are going to be keeping two different jump ships at a wp for any length of time, you might just want to build a jump gate instead.  This will allow any size ship to go through without regards to what type of engine is being used on what ship.

Brian