Author Topic: Allow Limited Modding of Aurora?  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Thundercraft (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
Allow Limited Modding of Aurora?
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
I did a cursory search. But I'm not sure if this has come up before. (Probably has.)

Are there any plans to allow fans to mod Aurora sometime down the road? I mean, beyond changing the graphics files?

Many games have benefited enormously from allowing the community to write mods for their favorite games. To name just a few, I could mention Dwarf Fortress, X2: The Threat, X3: Reunion, Freedom Force, FFvT3R, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Games that allow a lot of modification often have the most loyal fanbase, even years after it falls out of publication.

In some cases it can allow fans to overcome game limitations or speed up development in weak areas. Among other mods, I remember how some VGA Planets fans created AI script files to replace the default AI. These drastically changed AI behavior, making it far more unpredictable and, usually, more of a challenge. The game itself was written in QuickBASIC, but (if memory serves) the AI script file was some sort of pseudocode.

Granted, allowing fans to write mods has it's downsides. The creator(s) loose a degree of control of how their game is played and, in a sense, the direction of development. More than that, there is a risk of someone creating offensive content or, depending on the implementation, outright malicious code. To prevent the latter, mods are often limited to pseudocode and the game executables are off limits.

The benefits can be enormous, though.
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Allow Limited Modding of Aurora?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »
A "cursory" search on the keyword 'modding' finds several instances of the subject having been previously discussed.  The short answer is that it's not going to happen. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
Steve should allow other developers to join the team.  Developing in visual basic is easy and there so many little bugs/UI quirks that need to be fixed that would greatly increase the quality of the game.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
This has been covered to death before, Steve wants sole control over the game, don't think of this as something he is doing for us, this is a project he did for himself that he lets other people play with. I believe the usual response boils down to: If you want something different about Aurora put it in the suggestion thread, if he doesn't want to add it and you still want it, then make your own game.