Author Topic: Recrewing of fighters and how low-crew state works  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
Recrewing of fighters and how low-crew state works
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »
While working on my first cruiser design I managed to build fighters before their mothership was ready.   Doh. 
So after a month or two, issues with life support systems started appearing.   At first it got repaired, then some crew died.   Now the fighters are docked in their mothership.   Those fighters are 4 crew ones.   The whole TG is currently sitting back at the Earth. 

Fighters under 500t seem to be automatically stripped of crew quarters when Create design screen reloads.   I have put one fighter sized quarter (capacity 2) in there via "Keep excess quarters"  and then immediately "Lock design".   The mothership has 4 extra berths for fighter crew per each fighter.   Should I rather stick with no quarters on the fighter?

Both fighters are currently at just 1 crew.   One of them says in its info "Casualties: 3", the other one "Casualties: 0". 

Are ships automatically recrewed when at colony? From what I gathered, the damaged systems should be repaired after a while when ship is stored in a hangar, too, not just at colony.   Does it work so also for crew? Or would there need to be some colonists on that mothership for that to work?

Or do I need to manually load the crew in somehow?

Linked to this, btw, what is the effect of low crew? Every command takes longer to do? And if I manage to lose all crew on a ship, I need to tug it back to some colony?

Btw, I am using Aurora v7. 1.

UPDATE: Even when parked inside the mothership that was sitting at Earth for 5 dats, I just got an event:
"Due to the technical complete failure of the life support system on board Starling 003, 0 crew members have died.  The remaining 1 crew members are struggling to stay alive. "

The mothership has currently 9 free fighter crew berths (for total 2 figthers).  Is this fighter-crew-not-using-mothership-berths caused by that one fighter crew quarters I added to the fighter design?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:49:31 AM by Detros »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Recrewing of fighters and how low-crew state works
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:05:23 AM »
Ship designs are not updated with changes to their class until you manually look at the ship in the ships list. You need to wait for it to fully load.

In a situation where a ship has less crew than it should, from either combat casualties or updates as above, its task group will have the 'add replacement crew' command available.

The program should be incapable of letting you have less crew quarters than the minimum you need on a ship.  It's possible that one or more of the ship systems you are using is bugged, resulting in screwy behavior.

As far as the game combat mechanics are concerned, crew live on the fighter; the carrier flight berths simply lets them keep their morale zeroed out.

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:49 AM »
OK, thanks.  So I added more crew quarters both to the carrier and the fighters.  I guess the fraction-of-month which was set as fighters crew time may have been the cause here.  I changed it to 1.

I can update the carrier to the new design via change of shipyard.  Is there a way to refit fighters? Or do I need to scrap the old ones and rebuild the new design ones? I see five years ago this was not possible (aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=2384. 0).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
0.1 months is standard for fighters. It works fine.

You cannot refit fighters, other than by SM-editing their existing class.

To clarify, if you refit a ship using the shipyard, you do not need to check its ship info for it to update. Only editing an existing class via SM mode requires that step.