Author Topic: Staff Officer Boni Effects on C.O. of Ships  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Vexalor (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
Staff Officer Boni Effects on C.O. of Ships
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Do the boni used by Fleet Staff Officers in any way help the commander of a single ship or a task group?

Communications
Operations
Logistics
Diplomacy
Fighter Operations
Intelligence
Survey (This one seems obvious, but still, I'll ask)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Staff Officer Boni Effects on C.O. of Ships
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
Boni? If you mean bonus, yes. The fleet officers' bonus in their position (ie. opperations, communications, survey, ect.) help all ships under that fleet.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Boni? If you mean bonus, yes. The fleet officers' bonus in their position (ie. opperations, communications, survey, ect.) help all ships under that fleet.
When they are in the same system.

Offline Vexalor (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Boni as in the plural Bonus. 

I wasn't asking about how staff officers' bonuses affect ships in their task force, but if the bonuses/boni used by the staff officer positions can also be used by ordinary ship commanders. 

For instance, if Commander X with a Logistics bonus of 10% is assigned to Ship Y, does his Logistics bonus do anything beneficial (since he isn't the logistics staff officer)?

Sorry for being unclear.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »
the plural of bonus can be bonuses, boni, or bonussen (seriously)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
Just say buffs.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
Boni as in the plural Bonus. 

I wasn't asking about how staff officers' bonuses affect ships in their task force, but if the bonuses/boni used by the staff officer positions can also be used by ordinary ship commanders. 

For instance, if Commander X with a Logistics bonus of 10% is assigned to Ship Y, does his Logistics bonus do anything beneficial (since he isn't the logistics staff officer)?

Sorry for being unclear.
Logistics speed up the loading and unloading of ships.This only affects cargo holds, cryogenic transports and troop transport bays. So it's useful to appoint commanders with Logistics to such ships, though I mostly use it with troop transports only, as it's unlikely that all cargo ships in a TG will have identical bonus, meaning that some ships would have to wait for others to load - or I might not have enough Logistics commanders in the first place.

The bonus is not relevant to any other ships.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
It actually is for some of them like fighter ops, survey, ect., the wiki has a page on this, but they might have been made useless by a recent update.
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Leaders
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:51:45 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Vexalor (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
I have read that wiki page, but it seems extremely outdated, and much of what it says seems simply untrue.   For instance, I have never seen a civilian administrator with a Research bonus.

The wiki claims that the Communications bonus benefits Diplomacy teams, but, in my experience, I have seen no evidence of this.

What I am wondering is, do bonuses like Communications, Intelligence, Operations, etc.  serve a purpose to anyone but staff officers?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
Nope.

Survey helps geo/grav surveys, Factory Prod helps jump gate construction, the new Fighter skills helps aiming fighter guns, Logistics helps with loading, Terraforming helps with TF, Mining helps with Asteroid Mining and that's it.

Communications, Intelligence, Espionage, Operations don't help unless the officer is in a staff position.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »
The logistics skill according to one topic I was reading not so long ago does not seem to work with respect to reducing loading/unloading times.

Xenoarcheology also doesn't seem to work for govenors, as they don't seem to give a bonus to any activities on their colony.