Author Topic: Rescuing Survivors  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Viridia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Rescuing Survivors
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »
When survivors are rescued from wrecks, do the ships carrying them need excess Crew Quarters or can they be placed in colonist bays? Been working on a hospital ship design for added roleplay flavour in my current game but I don't want to commit to building any first.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Rescuing Survivors
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:38 AM »
The emergency sized cryo bays make me want to say yes, you can use them for rescuing survivors, however I'm unsure. I do know for a fact that adding excess crew quarters will prevent overcrowding on the rescue ship.
Reading the changelog for 5.70 http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4819.0.html Showst hat Emergency and Small sized cryo transport can be used for picking up survivors while the larger ones will not.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:30:49 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Viridia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:24:17 AM »
The emergency sized cryo bays make me want to say yes, you can use them for rescuing survivors, however I'm unsure. I do know for a fact that adding excess crew quarters will prevent overcrowding on the rescue ship.
Reading the changelog for 5.70 http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4819.0.html Showst hat Emergency and Small sized cryo transport can be used for picking up survivors while the larger ones will not.

Good to know, those are the two kinds of cryo bay I've been using on this design. Thanks!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:16:10 AM »
All cryo-bays, extra crew quarters, and the luxury passenger modules can all pick up survivors I believe.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
Is there anything gained by rescuing lifepods? I know you can rescue your own ship captains with it which is periodically great if youve got high skill commanders. But as far as ive seen, ive never gotten an npr commander, and even though ive interrogated hundreds of enemy crew, ive never explicitly gotten any knowledge from them

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
Here are the rules for interrogation of enemy prisoners:
In addition to the Espionage Points generated by teams, you can also gain Espionage points by interogating captured prisoners. For every ten crew you rescue from life pods you get one Espionage Point. Every captured officer will generate a number of Espionage Points equal to his rank cubed. So if the lowest rank is lieutenant commander, he will only be worth 1 Espionage Point (1x1x1). A commander would be worth 8 Espionage points (2x2x2) while a captain would be worth 27 Espionage points and a Commodore 64 (no computer pun intended :)) Espionage points, etc. With this rule, sending a Vice Admiral (216 EP) into harms way because he has a high crew training attribute may not be a great idea. It will also become very worthwhile to rescue your crews to avoid them being captured by the enemy.

Unlike teams, there is no penalty for different species. The penalty with teams is due to the fact they cannot blend in with the target population. With the interrogation of prisoners that is no longer a concern. The 80% penalty for lack of comms still applies.

Steve
This from an old version (v3.2), back when these rules were introduced, but I don't think anything has changed.

I got an error trying to copy the part on espionage teams, but here is the post on it.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
And through those espionage points, you do in fact get access to either detailed ship plans or technology (both racial, and bare theory). Here is a shot of a proof:

In this same game I also received detailed ship plans of an orbital beam base defense of the enemy, as well as the tier 7 theory of fire-control range (60kkm I believe), and another two missile designs. It took forever though, and involved nearly two years of besieging their home planet and preying on and capturing anything that leaves the planet after construction. In total I have deported over 8600 prisoners to my homeworld so far, and the results are with help of two espionage teams, which did at least discover one of these 5 things by themselves... . Kind of a slow progress.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »
Aha, thats quite a bit helpful. That picture would do nice on the wiki in the espionage section to help illustrate whats happening.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
Well, if a wiki guy is around, the picture is free for the taking. I cannot do it myself, because I only have around 20 minutes of wiki edit experience.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Lightning

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »
I have also got system grav data from rescuing enemy lifepods. I am a few version out of date though since I had a campaign going before the engine change and didn't want to scrap it.