Author Topic: Possible to set manually creatd NPRs to hostile to everybody?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
Possible to set manually creatd NPRs to hostile to everybody?
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »
Hi,

I copied this from my current AAR since it will get more views here:

Is there any way to set a manually created NPR to hostile to every other race?

On a related note, is there any aggressiveness modifier due to the government type chosen (i.e. is one type more likely to yield an aggressive race)?

Essentially I want to set up a new "mini Invader" race, but have no idea how to get them to be trying to subjugate every race they encounter.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Possible to set manually creatd NPRs to hostile to everybody?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
Hi,

I copied this from my current AAR since it will get more views here:

Is there any way to set a manually created NPR to hostile to every other race?

On a related note, is there any aggressiveness modifier due to the government type chosen (i.e. is one type more likely to yield an aggressive race)?

Essentially I want to set up a new "mini Invader" race, but have no idea how to get them to be trying to subjugate every race they encounter.

You can but it's not straightforward. Essentially you have to go into designer mode, open up the F2 Race window and modify the species characteristics. Put the translate way down and the xenophobia way up (and it doesn't hurt to increase determination and militancy). Don't forget to save! It doesn't guarantee they will attack everyone but it is a very high probability.

I've just done exactly this in my own game to add the Arachnid Omnivoracity (an old foe of the Rigellians from the Starfire campaign).

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
Thanks

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:01:29 AM »
I've just done exactly this in my own game to add the Arachnid Omnivoracity (an old foe of the Rigellians from the Starfire campaign).

OOOOOH - The Bugs are back!!!!

John

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »
And another question concerning NPRs, will they use tech I manually gave them?

The race I generated never got past Magneto Plasma Drives despite being given 1.2mil tech points, so I added 2 levels of engine techs to them. But I am not sure if they will try to design new engines now.

And on a related note, I gave them new missiles (including better engine tech) as well, will they actually use them? Essentially I could not bear to see a TL6-7 race in many other fields using 15-20kkm/sec missiles.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
And another question concerning NPRs, will they use tech I manually gave them?

The race I generated never got past Magneto Plasma Drives despite being given 1.2mil tech points, so I added 2 levels of engine techs to them. But I am not sure if they will try to design new engines now.

And on a related note, I gave them new missiles (including better engine tech) as well, will they actually use them? Essentially I could not bear to see a TL6-7 race in many other fields using 15-20kkm/sec missiles.

I keep trying to write a detailed response but the @$%^&! forum bug won't let me post :(

What you are doing won't work - one of the (many) limitation of designer mode.

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
Dang, was afraid of that. Oh well, looks like the bad guys will be fairly comical with huge sensors and missiles, but hardly able to move ;)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »
Apparently the forum doesn't like the word (when) unless I put it in brackets - grrr!

Designer mode has a lot of limitations. It is really used primarily to see what is happening rather than make major changes. New missiles will not be used because the NPRs don't know about them. When they design their own missiles, they keep track of the database ID of those missile types. Those IDs are them associated with the different classes that use them. When those classes run out they will attempt to reload with the appropriate missiles and may attempt to use other smaller missiles of nothing else is available. You would have to create the missiles, edit the database records for all missiles types then change all the class missile assignments.  Equally, when you give them engine tech they won't use it. As part of the NPR research process, when they develop certain key techs they will update their designs. In this case, new designs will be created (when) they develop new engine tech. Without that trigger to force a design update, they won't use the new engine tech you gave them.

You could add extra ships or extra missiles if they are existing types and the NPR will use them. Adding things they don't 'know about' won't help. Equally, removing or changing things the NPR is expecting to be available will confuse them and cause bugs. This is why I don't advertise designer mode or recommend using it. It's just too easy to get yourself into trouble

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
Yup, got the point about not removing anything :)

But giving them a higher tech research level might/should work, right? This way they could research their own techs and use them.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »
Yup, got the point about not removing anything :)

But giving them a higher tech research level might/should work, right? This way they could research their own techs and use them.

Yes, that should work.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
NPR's salvage now right? Could you just leave a couple of wrecks consisting of nothing but a few thousand tons of a certain component in the hope they will salvage and research the tech?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Good idea about salvaging, but for this to work the NPR would have to recognise the Salvage Module I had to put up for research since they have not researched it themself. I have no idea if they will recognise it when it is finished and actually design a Salvager.

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Hmm, would the NPR actually be able to use one of my Salvagers if I gifted it to them or would they have no clue how to use it without having researched salaving first? And I have no idea if I would actually be able to gift a ship to a hostile race even if they could use the Slavager. I think I will just give it a try ;)

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »
Well, at least currently the AI seems to have no idea what to do with the gifted Salvagers. There have assigned them commanders and I can select them, but they are sitting right were I put them before making them a gift.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
I have to assume they need to research it first, since we have already discussed the AI's inability to use components they haven't researched....
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "