Author Topic: Do ships ever surrender? Other than boarding combat...  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Do badly outnumbered/out gunned ships ever surrender?

If I capture all of an enemies populations, will there remaining ships surrender?

I know I can capture ships via boarding combat. Just wondering about other possibilities.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Do ships ever surrender? Other than boarding combat...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
No, they don't. They'd get really viciously badmouthed at home, so no one would dare to surrender.

///Edit: Oh wait, silly me. Just described this in another thread and now denying it. Well, there is one other method to get them to surrender, and that is to take all their colonies (or maybe just the capital? don't know). That will hand all their remaining ships over to you, so if you feel really bold you could just ignore all their ships and rush forward with some highly armored crafts to take them all by storm. A maximum gain victory.
However there is no check that considers whether they are outgunned or not. That would be quite an advanced mechanic, which I have not seen anywhere in a game that doesn't treat battles in separate encounter arenas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:57:24 PM by Vandermeer »
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
Even if they don't have a home to return to? Cowards :p

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »
Well... I would imagine if their Capital was taken over and they had other colonies, one of those other colonies would become a new capital.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
I think so too. It would only be fair considering the player could just designate a new capital before the other gets taken anyway. Still funny though that they could have the most massive of fleets (including loaded transports maybe), but take their bases by blitzing them and they start selling cheese and speaking french immediately. Aliens.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
Well, lets face it. Take all of a players bases, not many are gonna continue the game to try and recover those bases.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:21:27 AM »
I could maybe confirm that you only have to take the capital. In my current game I just found an outpost of a civilization that had already surrendered all its ships to me, so they could have moved their capital. Though since I have seen outposts popping out of nowhere already, it could in theory also be that this one spawned later, but two things speak against that. Firstly I have never witnessed an outpost spawning when a civilization was really defeated - they do not seem to come 'back from the grave'. Secondly I am relatively sure that I already found the outpost before and just chose to ignore it back then, because at that time it was peace, and the thing was around another star far away from conflict too, which would have prevented it from becoming involved when the war started.