Author Topic: Conventional Geosurvey missile  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Conventional Geosurvey missile
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Has things been changed around at some point or am I misremembering things? I thought it was possible to create geosurvey missiles with purely conventional tech but it seems it's impossible.

First, I research TN theory and geosurvey sensor itself. Then I researched a conventional missile engine. No problems.

I designed a launch complex PDC that uses a size 10 missile launcher. Still good.

Then I went to design the missile itself and here's the problem. I cannot put any numbers in the sensors part of the window. I can play around with warhead size, agility, fuel and number of engines, but not with the sensors.

I haven't researched Active Grav Sensor Strength 10 yet, which could be the problem. But on the missile stat window Geo survey sensor strength is higher than 0, just not much. Something like 0.01.

I really wanted to have an early exploration game, where the early part is kind of simulating NASA/ESA things, launching big missile probes at other planets but is my plan doomed?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Conventional Geosurvey missile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
Missiles are military tech, so no it's never been a thing for as long as I can remember
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:11:50 PM »
Pretty sure you need some reactor for sensors, research the first level of reactor tech.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
OF COURSE!

:facepalm:

Man, I'm stupid.

EDIT: it worked like a charm. And a pressurized water reactors are conventional enough, doesn't even break the lore of my plan. Now to figure out a way to shoot them at planets without missile fire controls.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:43:14 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »
Waypoints I think.....
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
the Last button will affix a waypoint to the last selected Body.  this is how you shoot @ bodies without active locks

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
Now to figure out a way to shoot them at planets without missile fire controls.

Waypoints I think.....

I think you still need a missile fire control to fire at waypoints, it's just that the range doesn't matter to the MFC. You can use a minimum weight (0.1 HS) MFC for the job.

Shoe is right. For a planet, moon, etc.: click on it, then hit the "Last" button to create a waypoint that follows the body as it moves.

Offline zatomic

• Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »
Assuming you are building a PDC to launch it from, you can use the ICBM fire control you get designed at the game start (even if you didn't start with any ICBM bases).  You can also use the ICBM Silo launcher as long as you keep your probe under it's size (24MSP I think).  I'm pretty sure I've gotten probes as far as Saturn with just geosensors, and the first reactor tech.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »
Bookmarked.  Some ideas here I hadn't thought of, thank you very much contributors!  I will definitely use some of this stuff in my next campaign ... whenever 6.5 comes. 

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »
Assuming you are building a PDC to launch it from, you can use the ICBM fire control you get designed at the game start (even if you didn't start with any ICBM bases).  You can also use the ICBM Silo launcher as long as you keep your probe under it's size (24MSP I think).  I'm pretty sure I've gotten probes as far as Saturn with just geosensors, and the first reactor tech.
Good tip thanks because otherwise I would have had to research Active Grav Sensor strength 10 which is obviously a TN tech, which I try to avoid, keeping this "conventional" as long as possible.