Author Topic: Relaying target information.  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Drakale (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
Relaying target information.
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
So I was thinking of making a swarm of light and cheap missile cruisers with minimal weight that have a pretty good missile guidance radar but a very light active sensor. Along them 2 heavier and armored AWACs hold the powerful active sensors that will light up the targets. They will also serve as colliers for missiles.

If the AWACS get destroyed, the small cruisers can try to avoid detection and get away  to join up another fleet...

Is this system viable? Can a ship acquire a target that another ship have detected and lock his weapon system on it?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Relaying target information.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Quote from: "Drakale"
So I was thinking of making a swarm of light and cheap missile cruisers with minimal weight that have a pretty good missile guidance radar but a very light active sensor. Along them 2 heavier and armored AWACs hold the powerful active sensors that will light up the targets. They will also serve as colliers for missiles.

If the AWACS get destroyed, the small cruisers can try to avoid detection and get away  to join up another fleet...

Is this system viable? Can a ship acquire a target that another ship have detected and lock his weapon system on it?
Yes, all the above will work fine. Once one ship detects a contact, that information is relayed to all the other ships and they can target it.

Steve

Offline Drakale (OP)

• D
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
Wow that's really great... My fleet will need a major overhaul to take advantage of this.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Ehehe--this Evil-Minded "Game" are ever a surprise for who come from others classic strategic,even MOO3 (awesome and rare 4x in the world).or SpaceEmpire V,another good game but too little map field.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:05 AM »
That kind of fleet system is something I would expect to be relatively realistic:

Stealthy weapons platforms, along with very tough, powerful sensor platforms.

All the enemy can see, at first, is the big noisy search sensor.  It might be mounted on a relatively slow platform, very large and well armored.  The weapons platforms would be smaller, in part to reduce the chances of detection.  How far away can you relay accurate targetting information?

Offline Rathos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:22:39 AM »
There is no limit. As long as you have a ship pinging them with actives any ship in the system can "see" the enemy as long as they are in fire control range. Keep in mind that the smaller resolution active radars can't see very far. You might be able to get a really long range 1000mkm radar that can see 5000 ton ships, but anything smaller will be "invisible" even if it is close. This usually means you have several ARs. I use a 100 resolution, 14 resolution and of course a 0 resolution for missile defense, usually as big as I can make them and stick them on my ships which tend to be big.

You can probably get away with having a AWAC with multiple sizes, while  0 res also go on the platforms so they can defend each other from missiles and fighter-craft.

Offline lastverb

• l
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:53:20 AM »
well a 100 resolution radar (5000 tons) can see smaller crafts like 2500 tons but in much smaller range