Author Topic: Mining and Mine Transportation  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Kelron (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
Mining and Mine Transportation
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
I'm playing my first game of Aurora, after going through the tutorials.   I've been letting time run pretty fast while I research tech and try to work things out one at a time and I'm starting to deplete Earth's mineral supply.   I have 2 freighters designed pretty much exactly like the ones in the tutorial, with 5 cargo bays each.   I've surveyed Sol entirely and found some suitable mining sites, and also begun jump gate construction to adjacent systems.   I have both freighters in a task group, and tell them to load automated mines on Earth.   Shortly afterwards the event log says they were unable to complete the order, but gives no indication why.   What do I need to do to load the mines, and is there anything in particular I need to do to set up automated mining beyond unloading the mines on an asteroid?

I'm also researching the mining module for ships, do these ships need cargo holds to store what they mine (same goes for the salvage ships I made to investigate wrecks I found, do they need cargo holds)?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Mining and Mine Transportation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »
1) Well, you need to have automated mines on earth.
Assuming you have, your freighters must be empty, so there is enough space for the mines.
Other than that, I can´t think of anything.

2) Asteroid Mining Modules only mine Asteroids/Comets. The minerals are dumped in a colony on the asteroid/comet (create one if you want the minerals, there is no need for population, just an empty colony)
You can ease the logistic burden by plucking a massdriver down on that colony, so it shoots the minerals to earth and you don´t have to haul them around with freighters.

Automines start working as soon as you drop them down. No further imput required.

3) Salvagers are a different thing. They store any salvage in their own cargo hold or in the cargo hold of any ship that is in the same TG as the salvager itself.
Make sure to bring enough cargo space with you, or you will loose some of the stuff

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Kelron (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
Re: Mining and Mine Transportation
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply.   I worked out what the problem is, I'd misunderstood how cargo loading worked and ordered them to load automated mines twice (thinking this would load 2 mines), the order failed message was the 2nd one as they were already fully loaded.