Author Topic: questions about fighters (old "how crew requirement is calculated?")  (Read 1353 times)

Offline telegraph (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Since mods have moved my this thread to the academy - I'll post all my fighters questions here.   

Q: How is crew requirements calculated for fighters?
I had an obvious assumption that crew required for the ship is the sum of all crew requirements of ship's components.      Apparently it is not so:

I was designing a small fighter:
1.      I removed all the standard components and crew requirement went to 0.     
2.      I added a Command Module(1 crew req.     ) and crew requirement was 1.     
3.      I added a fighter engine(5 crew req.     ) and crew requirement was 2!
4.      I added a missile magazine (3 crew req.     ) and crew requirement was 3!
5.      I added that missile magazine again and crew requirement was still 3.     
6.      I added that missile magazine again and crew requirement was 4.     
7.      I added that missile magazine again and crew requirement was 5.     
6.      I added that missile magazine again and crew requirement was 21!

It looks like there are some special rules that work for small fighters(less then 500 ton?).      what are those rules?

A:
Quote from: metalax link=topic=5289.    msg54238#msg54238 date=1346858323
A fighter has to be under 500 ton and possess one fighter classed engine in order to be classified as a fighter by the game.   

Any fighter has it's total crew requirement reduced to 25%, rounding any fractions up.   

Q: What is strikegroup?
In ship design window, on the Ordnance/Fighters tab there is a part named Preferred Strikegroup.     What is it? How does it work? Should I assign it for carrier class or for fighters or somhow else?

A:
Quote from: Redshirt link=topic=5289. msg54251#msg54251 date=1346875241
2- Strikegroups are for reference, so you can see how many fighters will fit and plan accordingly.  You need to actually assign them to a specific mothership once they've been built.  (Done on the individual ships screen, or through the fleet screen using the "land on mothership and assign" order.  And you must set a default task group to the fighter factories when you build them, on the industry screen, or they will vanish into a mystery task group and be inaccessible.

Q: How do I repair and maintain fighters?
I have started production of fighters and a hungar(PDC) for them on Earth.   the series of fighters and hungar will be ready roughly at the same time, but first fighters are already produced.   I expected them to be maintained by vast maintenance facilities on Earth, but apparently they are not served there.   Two of my fighters already have malfunctioning launchers :(.   I started overhaul of the fighters TG, but it looks like maintenance clock is still ticking on them inspite of active overhaul.   Shipyard does not accept those fighters for repairs.   How can I service them?
The situation is aggravated by the fact that thost fighters have no Engineering Space. 
A:
Quote from: metalax link=topic=5289.    msg54238#msg54238 date=1346858323
3- Repairing is done when the fighters are docked in their hanger on the mothership.  They are repaired using the maintenance supplies and damage control systems (if any) of the carrier itself.  When docked, their maintenance clock is off.  You can get away with having virtually no engineering space on fighters because of this, especially if their range is under a day's flight time.
In a hungar maintenance clock not only off, but actually it is rewinded.
Unfortunately I will not be able to try in-hungar repairs for some time because my hungar just disappeared with all contents.  Officers that worked there are shown as unassigned, but marked as assigned(white background), their location is "unknown system".  Griveous bug indeed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:33:30 PM by telegraph »

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: how crew requirement is calculated?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
A fighter has to be under 500 ton and possess one fighter classed engine in order to be classified as a fighter by the game.

Any fighter has it's total crew requirement reduced to 25%, rounding any fractions up.

Offline telegraph (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Re: questions about fighters (old "how crew requirement is calculated?")
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Thanks, I have updated the OP to be more "academical" and posted another question there.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: questions about fighters (old "how crew requirement is calculated?")
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
2- Strikegroups are for reference, so you can see how many fighters will fit and plan accordingly. You need to actually assign them to a specific mothership once they've been built. (Done on the individual ships screen, or through the fleet screen using the "land on mothership and assign" order. And you must set a default task group to the fighter factories when you build them, on the industry screen, or they will vanish into a mystery task group and be inaccessible.

3- Repairing is done when the fighters are docked in their hanger on the mothership. They are repaired using the maintenance supplies and damage control systems (if any) of the carrier itself. When docked, their maintenance clock is off. You can get away with having virtually no engineering space on fighters because of this, especially if their range is under a day's flight time.
Living up to my username. . .