Author Topic: Game creation questions  (Read 1352 times)

Offline knightofni81 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • k
Game creation questions
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:33:45 AM »
I've tried to create a new game trying to replicate Steve's last game (Solarian Empires).  It has been pretty much a failure, and i realize that i don't really understand how to create a custom game.

Here are the steps i've followed :

1.  Created a game with an SM race (Spacemaster empire starting option)
2.  Starting NPR 0, NPR Generation chance : 75%, difficulty 150%
3.  Same System Truce : 15 years
4.  Other settings left at default
5.  Generated Sol
6.  Then I've used the F9 window + SM Mode to create empires that roughly corresponds to Solarian Empire's starting situation

I've played about 10 years, and some things don't look right, leading to the following questions :

A.  None of the empires that I've manually created seem to be playing.  Isn't there an option to force the AI to take them over and play them ? I naively thought that if I didn't play them the AI would take over.
B.  Despite having explored 20 systems, i haven't found a single NPR.  Would NPR generation be affected by the fact that I set 0 starting NPR ?
C.  I'm not sure how the truce countdown is supposed to work.  All the diplomatic relations are in the -500.
D.  What exactly is the menu option 'Add NPR' doing ? Is it possible to choose in which system the NPR will appear ?
E.  Is there any way to add an AI controlled NPR in a system that the player'd choose ?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Game creation questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
Whan you create an empire there is an option "Create as NPR - N/A for conventional empire"
You need to check that to make a computer controlled empire.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
A.  None of the empires that I've manually created seem to be playing.  Isn't there an option to force the AI to take them over and play them ? I naively thought that if I didn't play them the AI would take over.

When you are creating an empire you have to check the "create as NPR" box. Once a race is created you cannot give it to the AI as far as I know.

B.  Despite having explored 20 systems, i haven't found a single NPR.  Would NPR generation be affected by the fact that I set 0 starting NPR ?

Aurora is random to a ridiculous degree. You can find an NPR in the first system you explored or you may not find even one before abandoning your game. This is true for both starting NPRs and those created when you discover a system. As such setting the number of starting NPRs to 0 means lower chances of finding one close to your homeworld but not by much.

C.  I'm not sure how the truce countdown is supposed to work.  All the diplomatic relations are in the -500.

As far as I know the truce countdown does not "freeze" diplomatic relations - it merely prevents NPRs in the same system as you from attacking you for a certain amount of time no matter your relations (alternatively it may be that the countdown freezes only relations with NPRs. Since the other nations were controlled by you it didn't work). The main reason for this is to give your diplomats opportunity to get rolling - a good enough diplomatic team will prevent war once the countdown expires. I think.

D.  What exactly is the menu option 'Add NPR' doing ? Is it possible to choose in which system the NPR will appear ?

I think it adds a random NPR in a newly generated system. As such you cannot choose where to put that NPR. You can create one on a planet of your choosing by using F9 screen -> add new empire and checking the "create as NPR" box. This is also an answer to you E question.

Offline knightofni81 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • k
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
Great, thanks a lot guys !