Author Topic: Shiping line's Default Ship names resulting in error  (Read 2864 times)

Offline mobotium (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • m
Shiping line's Default Ship names resulting in error
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »
Dont know if its a known bug or not but...

Recently, I made a post in the academy concerning a ship from a certain shiping line that spawned with no name, and thus was giving null errors (error 91 I believe) every turn or when the ship's info was brought up. That was solved through Renaming of the ship, however, recently, it hapened again. I was curious as to the reason as to only the ships of a certain delivery line were affected (in this case, Mckendrick Carrier Alliance), while all others seemed fine. Messing arround with the stevefire file, it became obvious that the reason was simple. The default ship name was simply too big to be handled by the program, thus it defaulted to a null name. I havent come arround to finding out the exact maximum in characters, but this makes names such as (in this case) Mckendrick Special-Delivery Freigther 003 give errors.

Now, I dont know if this classifies as a bug or not, but for someone who likes varieties in ship naming, this proves to be troublesome at best. Idealy, the char cap would be extended or something, or some funcionality wich would abreviate the name if its too big implemented. Just trowing suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:03:13 AM by mobotium »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Shiping line's Default Ship names resulting in error
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:09:41 AM »
post this over in the bug list.  When people tell Steve what is wrong as well as the why of it the fixes come much faster.  He also doesn't usually remember things that are posted somewhere other than the main bug thread however so this really needs to be posted there.

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
It turns out the database has a 40 character limit on ship names. I have changed it to 100 characters but this won't take effect until the next database update.

Good advice from Brian about the bugs thread. If anything is posted separately and I can't see an immediate fix, it usually gets forgotten due to the number of posts on the forum. I periodically go through the bugs thread when I have time so it should get picked up eventually in that thread.

Steve

Offline mobotium (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
Ok, I'l follow that if/when the need arrives again, thanks!