Author Topic: Guided missiles  (Read 1924 times)

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Guided missiles
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:48 AM »
During my last fight many of my missiles self destruct because i shoot too many on one target. If i understand it right i need to add active sensor on missiles so they will be able to lock on new target.

My real question is how strong does signal need to be. If my missile is doing 30.000km/s doest sensor range need to be 5(seconds)*30.000(missile speed)=150.000km? For it to get next target? Or 30.000km is enough?

Does enemy ECM affect this range? My luncher have a lev 2 ECCM, so can I/should place ECCM also on missiles? Or is their guided range not affected/using luncher ECCM?

Thanks!
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Guided missiles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
For your missile sensors (they can be passive as well) you want them able to detect any ship in the target task group at the point that you original target is no longer valid.  In general I take this to mean detecting a target within 5-10 seconds of flight time, or 1 cycle of your standard launchers, whichever is greater.  The 5-10 second will give you a chance to get some use out of salvo's arriving after the one that destroyed your target.  In this case they will split their fire between all valid targets (resolution being a factor for active sensors)  This is most usefull when you are throwing lots of small salvo's at a target, ie fighter or swarm style tactics.  For the cycle time of you launchers this is to allow for sending to many salvo's at a target over time.  Just a quick example as to how far a ship might travel in 30 seconds think about a 4000km/s ship.  In thirty seconds it will have gone 120,000km.  If you only detect something out to 30-60,000km them you wouldn't even see them.

As for enemy ecm it will affect your onboard launchers, but not the missiles self guidance.  Also you can put ecm on your missiles, but not eccm.  If you have a significant ecm advantage over an oponent this can be good as 1 missile space point (msp) will give you the max ecm you have researched.  This can make a big difference on the counter launch range, and especially for their beam point defense.  This is however a tactic for large missiles not small missiles.

Good Luck on your next missile combat

Brian

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »
As i am not good at English i don't know if i fully understand your post.

If i shoot a X salvos of 4 missiles simultaneously, one salvo per enemy ship, then when first 2 missiles of salvo will destroy target i want the 3rd and 4th missile of this salvo to target next enemy. So i need (if resolution is OK) like 5 or 10(second)*missile speed? Does enemy speed matters?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
i think what he's saying is if the enemy is moving 4000 km/s, in 5 seconds he will be 20,000 km away 5 seconds later.  The sensor has to have enough range to actually see those ships 20,000 km away, and then the missile has to turn around, then catch back up.  So if your missiles can "see" at a longer range, say 180,000 km, then the missile has a better chance of seeing and finding them.

Is this more clear?  You don't want your range to be so short that 5 seconds later the enemy ships are OUT of range.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
Do missiles in the same salvo re-target or are they always lost?

Let's say salvo 1 has 6 missiles - four are enough to destroy a target. Will missiles #5 and #6 go for a new target or self-desctruct?
I know that salvo 2 missiles will re-target if they have sensors that can find any targets.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Do missiles in the same salvo re-target or are they always lost?

Let's say salvo 1 has 6 missiles - four are enough to destroy a target. Will missiles #5 and #6 go for a new target or self-desctruct?
I know that salvo 2 missiles will re-target if they have sensors that can find any targets.
All missiles in a salvo are checked to see if they hit before the damage is finalized.  Therefore you never have any left over missiles from a salvo that destroys the target.

Brian

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
Firing with five launchers tied to one fire control will be counted as one salvo?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »
Firing with five launchers tied to one fire control will be counted as one salvo?

Correct.

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
All missiles in a salvo are checked to see if they hit before the damage is finalized.  Therefore you never have any left over missiles from a salvo that destroys the target.

Brian

I see... that answers my question about one salvo.

So when salvo get to ship it is doomed.

If my next salvo is 30 seconds away, with speed of 30.000km/s so missiles are 900.000km away from enemy. Then i need sensor with that range? Sorry for being resistant to knowledge  ;)

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »
Missiles with sensors will continue to where their target was and wait there until they acquire a new target or run out of fuel. (If I remember correctly.)

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »
Excellent  ;) Thank You.

Now i understand previous posts.