Author Topic: Isle of Man  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Isle of Man
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
For those speculating on the Discord, I am on the Isle of Man and it is a really great place to live :)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
I've often wondered, as an American with little to no knowledge of naming conventions outside this country, why is it called the Isle of Man? it is very fantasy movie-esque to me.

"Behold! The Isle of Man! Nonhumans dare not approach!"

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 12:16:20 AM »
I've always been fascinated with the past languages of Britian, many smaller dialects have died out which were very similar but not entirely the same as 'early english'.
Its interesting how Manx has survived.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »
I've often wondered, as an American with little to no knowledge of naming conventions outside this country, why is it called the Isle of Man? it is very fantasy movie-esque to me.

The etymology isn't certain, but there are a few potential explanations. The island is also called Mann, which translates to Mannin in Manx Gaelic (the newest hotel on the island is the Mannin), and our head of state is the Lord of Mann. Our current head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, but only in her role of Lord of Mann not as Queen. The Celtic god Manannan, or sometimes Mannan, is closely associated with the island, so given the close similarity in Gaelic that seems the most likely origin.

The mist that often gathers around the island is known as Manannan's cloak, which legend says he used to protect the island from invaders. One of the two ferries that serves the island is called Manannan and one of the main museums is the House of Manannan. There are well-known statues of him carved from large tree-trunks on the island. There is quite a lot of folklore on the island, including Fairy Bridge, where you have to say hello to the local fairies (Celtic Fairies, not English) as you pass or Bad Things Will Happen. Speaking from personal experience I can confirm this appears to be completely true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Bridge_(Isle_of_Man)

The following users thanked this post: Panopticon

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 04:49:34 AM »
I've always been fascinated with the past languages of Britian, many smaller dialects have died out which were very similar but not entirely the same as 'early english'.
Its interesting how Manx has survived.

A lot of signs are bi-lingual and it is taught in schools. In fact, in some cases I find myself using the Manx word for things. For example, the Manx for the Department of Infrastructure is Rheynn Bun-Troggalys. So, whenever we see workmen fixing roads or clearing the debris from the latest winter storm, we just refer to them as the Bun-Troggalys, which always gives me the image of a team of Oompa Loompas.

The following users thanked this post: Panopticon

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »

The etymology isn't certain, but there are a few potential explanations. The island is also called Mann, which translates to Mannin in Manx Gaelic (the newest hotel on the island is the Mannin), and our head of state is the Lord of Mann. Our current head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, but only in her role of Lord of Mann not as Queen. The Celtic god Manannan, or sometimes Mannan, is closely associated with the island, so given the close similarity in Gaelic that seems the most likely origin.

The mist that often gathers around the island is known as Manannan's cloak, which legend says he used to protect the island from invaders. One of the two ferries that serves the island is called Manannan and one of the main museums is the House of Manannan. There are well-known statues of him carved from large tree-trunks on the island. There is quite a lot of folklore on the island, including Fairy Bridge, where you have to say hello to the local fairies (Celtic Fairies, not English) as you pass or Bad Things Will Happen. Speaking from personal experience I can confirm this appears to be completely true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Bridge_(Isle_of_Man)

Fascinating, no sarcasm at all there, I actually was wondering in Manannan had anything to do with it, Celtic mythology is a minor fascination of mine but I've always been too lazy to really dig into it.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
How does Manx Gaelic compare to Gaeilge? I'll be in Ireland at the end of May this year, and I've been "learning" Gaeilge. It's a bitch. I doubt I'll ever be able to speak it competently but I should be able to read some of it.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
How does Manx Gaelic compare to Gaeilge? I'll be in Ireland at the end of May this year, and I've been "learning" Gaeilge. It's a bitch. I doubt I'll ever be able to speak it competently but I should be able to read some of it.

My knowledge of Gaelic is pretty minimal, but I think they have the same roots and diverged.

From Wiki: Manx is one of the three descendants of Old Irish (via Middle Irish and early Modern Gaelic), and is closely related to Irish and Scottish Gaelic. It shares a number of developments in phonology, vocabulary and grammar with Irish and Scottish Gaelic (in some cases only with dialects of these) and shows a number of unique changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_language

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
For those speculating on the Discord, I am on the Isle of Man and it is a really great place to live :)
Can confirm it's a good place to live.  :)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
Fascinating, no sarcasm at all there, I actually was wondering in Manannan had anything to do with it, Celtic mythology is a minor fascination of mine but I've always been too lazy to really dig into it.
From what I understand Manannin is named after us, or they have common etymology, rather than the other way around.