Author Topic: 403 Forbidden  (Read 11450 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: 403 Forbidden
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 11:36:59 PM »
That'd be great, but all of the built-in image compression in SMF relies on software the host has not loaded.

December's traffic was ~150g.
January is 3x that a week in.

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
That'd be great, but all of the built-in image compression in SMF relies on software the host has not loaded.

December's traffic was ~150g.
January is 3x that a week in.
Oh hi, please optimise your images using software we won't load onto the server, kthxbye.
Edit: perhaps my maths are off, but there's 340,000 page views. That's an Average of 1.2 mb per page views.
Oh I'm an idiot, the game is downloaded from the forum right?
The 7.1 patch thread was viewed 12000 times since December, assuming it's been downloaded that many times and the 5.54 as well, would be 1.2 Tb.....
Surely it's a little lower than that but still, I'm sure you can check many times the games been downloaded....
If it's significant then hosting the files elsewhere should help a little.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:40:35 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »
Yeah, they are certainly annoying me to no end.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »
On a side note, the host suggests that I optimize images and consolidate CSS files.
He is not completely wrong, it might alleviate some strain, every little bit helps, no? But here is catch 22, I tried to trim down the css on the wiki (I can reduce about a third without too much hassle) but I can't update it because 403 Forbidden!  At least images aren't an issue there, because of volume and the way mediawiki handles it.

.... I know the forum activity exploded but that still seems excessive considering this is still a fairly small forum.
Unfortunately, once you hit the ceiling, it usually tuns into a downward spiral. That is when people get an error they tend to obsessively refresh, generating extra calls for the already resource deprived sever..

The 7.1 patch thread was viewed 12000 times since December, assuming it's been downloaded that many times and the 5.54 as well, would be 1.2 Tb.....
Yeah, its most likely the single most offender as far as Eriks bandwidth stats goes. Probably more so for the portable version, but at least its not hosted here. Also it appears that most of the new users seem to have found a home on reddit.

Looks like Erik, changed the Aurora files hosting location, which should help. Btw, big thanks to Erik for working on all of this in the background!

Edited.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:57:12 AM by Mor »

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 03:11:08 AM »
All of the words that have been triggers have been SQL keywords.

All I can tell is that if was something consistent that I can identify, then I could write couple of regex fixes for myself (like i did for 0.x). but to me it seem too random. Like MarcAFK post above which several minutes later you can no longer quote, or from today:

On Version_7.0 I can't add:
Code: [Select]
==Army Officer Promotions==
only
;=Army Officer Promotions==
while there are plenty of other headers above and bellow just like that, but only this one fires, even if I remove the content

Or on Version_6.40, there are several trigger words including wh_en that prevent me from updating it.

Edit:
Whatever it is, it interferes with forum\wiki basic function, affecting people ability to post content and wasting their time trying to hunt the heretic word of the day.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:26:23 AM by Mor »

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »
Lots of issues over the last two days for the forum for me. regardless where I am and what computers I use. I got a Server is out of resources message only 30 minutes ago. I had cannot post message forbidden. there was nothing in the text that I could see that was like 'case', but it would not allow me to post two sentences. I had very long delays in opening pages, sometimes not opening at all.

I think think the DB may need some maintenance.

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 04:22:48 AM »
We already discussed that here

TL,DR: The hoster installed crap and now the server is in a constant state of near breakdown. Erik is on it and plans on switching hosts.