Author Topic: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 63827 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »
Thread for discussion of changes announced for v2.2.0. Please do not post bug reports or unrelated suggestions in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 09:24:03 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: ReviewDude01

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
So what does a supernovaed system look like? I know all the JPs would be destroyed so it would be inaccessible by normal means but I wonder what the actual system view would look like. I'm also wondering what certain spoilers would do if they spawned there at a later point. I'm thinking invader aether rift

Offline EvadingHostileFleets

• Petty Officer
  • E
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
Was hoping for some mechanic to clear radiation, perhaps terraforming or construction based, but new formula is fine too.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 02:45:42 PM »
So what does a supernovaed system look like? I know all the JPs would be destroyed so it would be inaccessible by normal means but I wonder what the actual system view would look like. I'm also wondering what certain spoilers would do if they spawned there at a later point. I'm thinking invader aether rift

Everything is gone except the primary star - nothing else remains, including jump points. Its a good point though about invaders or raiders turning up post-supernova. I'll add code to make sure that doesn't happen.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 02:46:05 PM »
Was hoping for some mechanic to clear radiation, perhaps terraforming or construction based, but new formula is fine too.

Won't be terraforming, but I am looking at other options.

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »
What things give damage control rating besides damage control components? (Re: new instant damage control)

I noticed that in 2.0.3 (which I am still playing for the moment), DCR is listed, but even ships without a damage control component or even main engineering have DCR.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 06:27:20 PM »
What things give damage control rating besides damage control components? (Re: new instant damage control)

I noticed that in 2.0.3 (which I am still playing for the moment), DCR is listed, but even ships without a damage control component or even main engineering have DCR.

Engineering components have a DCR rating of 1.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 06:51:03 PM »
Love the change to DCR! The normal DCR rating has always felt useless because combat happens so much quicker than repairs ever do - except in multi-faction games when reduced size launchers mean you have chances to repair in between missile waves, sometimes. Now with an instant repair possibility it feels like DCR will have the importance it should. The tonnage-dependent Instant-DCR calculation method also helps make DCR not so trivial to slap onto your giant capital ships, which is a good bit of foresight and keeps the higher techs relevant for Warhammer Aurora players who like big ships.

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 12:15:52 AM »
Supernovae I don't think should completely destroy the system as a whole. All bodies and ships should for sure be wiped out, however the star should collapse into a neutron star or blackhole, with all the old jump points deleted but the possibility to resurvey it with all new jump points. I think this would be more interesting having a massive rerouting of the galaxy over just poking a hole in our jump network

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 01:12:48 AM »
I definitely agree that rather than just turning the system into a void it should have its jump points regenerated by the cataclysm.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 04:09:07 AM »
Thirded on the idea that generating a new set of JPs might be interesting.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 04:19:38 AM »

Even if a new set of jump points is generated, you would still have to find a link to them from the outside, which is unlikely. Besides, if the new supernova system is in an important area of your Empire, then the loss of jump points will be very low down on your list of problems :)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »

Even if a new set of jump points is generated, you would still have to find a link to them from the outside, which is unlikely. Besides, if the new supernova system is in an important area of your Empire, then the loss of jump points will be very low down on your list of problems :)

TBF the whole supernova thing is supposed to be unlikely to begin with, I think it'd be very cool if supernovae somehow created loads of TN elements that could perhaps be found around the ruins of the system. Provided you find your way back.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 03:44:46 PM »
"there is no restriction on which stars may be chosen by the Spacemaster"
So you can blow up even already explored systems?
I can see this is gonna be useful for players who are desperately fed up with a particular alien race.

I guess the jump points could maybe be re-discovered by a gravitational re-survey of the nearby systems.
It's fine by me either way though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:47:16 PM by Destragon »

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 04:32:32 PM »
"there is no restriction on which stars may be chosen by the Spacemaster"
So you can blow up even already explored systems?
I can see this is gonna be useful for players who are desperately fed up with a particular alien race.

The guy who made the Reddit thread about gassing an alien race with terraformers is salivating right now.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, Wiggles, ranger044