Author Topic: Heuristics for new missile mechanics  (Read 1278 times)

Offline nakorkren (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Heuristics for new missile mechanics
« on: December 21, 2023, 10:51:19 PM »
My intent with this post is to start cataloguing heuristics for the new missile mechanics. I'll update this first post based on everyone's input/feedback. I seeded with some potential ones, please provide your feedback (vote + or - and I'll keep a running tab) and reference the heuristic number.

• (+1)Retargeting is useful for AMMs, but rarely for ASMs since retargeting means another chance of being shot down by the target's PD
  • (+1)When fighting an enemy with shields, if you're going to use reduced size launchers (or really big launchers), either keep your salvo time to ~60s, since most shields take about 5 minutes to fully recharge, or if your salvo time is already near or above 5 minutes, go for FULLY reduced size launchers (30%) for max throw weight since you're already allowing them to shave X damage (where X is their max shield strength) off each of your salvos.
  • (+1)When using laser warheads (standoff warheads), remember they use the laser damage profile and size your warhead damage accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, lordcirth, Warer, Pedroig, lumporr, HourAfterDawn

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Heuristics for new missile mechanics
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 03:31:57 PM »
1. Retargeting is awesome for AMMs, though it does make it so that you basically have to use sizes larger than 1MSP. I did 2MSP missiles. Works pretty well.
As far as ASM retargeting, I put it on mine and found it to be useful because even with good speed, the hit chances aren't amazing. Yes the PD gets another chance to shoot it down, but I was putting 2 decoys on my ASMs with ECM anyway so I think it works out pretty well.

The following users thanked this post: lordcirth, Warer

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 09:41:12 PM »
1. Retargeting is awesome for AMMs, though it does make it so that you basically have to use sizes larger than 1MSP. I did 2MSP missiles. Works pretty well.
As far as ASM retargeting, I put it on mine and found it to be useful because even with good speed, the hit chances aren't amazing. Yes the PD gets another chance to shoot it down, but I was putting 2 decoys on my ASMs with ECM anyway so I think it works out pretty well.
Might also go especially well with laser warheads, which are much less vulnerable to point defense than standard warheads.

Or with high rate of fire launchers where the second wave might arrive before the last re-targeting stragglers of the first wave have met their end? Though that might be hard since you're not going to be putting retargeting on a 1 MSP ASM either.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 10:29:44 PM »
--- From what I can tell, Re-Targeting and Laser Warheads are mutually exclusive.

Oops, got confused, it's Multi-Warheads and Laser Warheads that I know are mutually exclusive. Whether that is a bug or WAI, I'm not sure.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 04:25:31 AM »
As for salvoes... you always want to use maximum reduced sized volleys or box launched volleys for shorter ranged ships. Rapid reloading launchers are only useful against smaller ships with limited PD capabilities. This is for the same reason you never want to retarget against anything but enemy missiles or fighter crafts. Larger volleys makes it easier to both overwhelm enemy AMM and PD capabilities.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 11:20:21 PM »
Early Laser warheads can easily overpen due to the laser calculation being the armour damage calculation versus normal missile damage.
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Warer