Author Topic: Re: Part 2: Defensores Imperii  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Aldaris (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Part 2: Defensores Imperii
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
Nitpick: Diplomacy WAS the Roman way. The main reason Rome expanded so much was due to its absolute mastery of devide and conquer, providing support to border trives and sharing their conquests or mop up whatever ended up taking them down. Interesting to see such an early conquest and so many precursors, though.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »
Quote from: "Aldaris"
Nitpick: Diplomacy WAS the Roman way. The main reason Rome expanded so much was due to its absolute mastery of devide and conquer, providing support to border trives and sharing their conquests or mop up whatever ended up taking them down. Interesting to see such an early conquest and so many precursors, though.

While this is true for the "real" Rome, I don´t think it is for Steve´s
In this alternate reality, Rome conquered the whole of earth in a century or so, there simply was no need for diplomacy (who needs diplomacy, when you are attacking spear toting tribsemen with jet fighters and main battle tanks?)
Therfore I think it appropriate for the romans to be much less diplomatic and a lot more conquest oriented.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:37:06 AM »
How can a low-ind civilisation have a large EM signature?  Moderately large Thermal signature (if they have fossil fuel burning) I can understand, but if they are using Heliographs then surely there is little in the way of RF being generated?

Edited so that my comments make more sense.
Welchbloke

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
How can a low-ind civilisation have a large EM signature?  Moderately large Thermal signature (if they have fossil fuel burning) I can understand, but if they are using Heliographs then surely there is little in the way of RF being generated?

I've thought about this in the past.  Maybe a pre-industrial option for NPR's that will give off a lower TH signature than what the same size industrial race would give off and no EM signature.  These same races could be more common and conquerable, but take longer to become imperial citizens based on the learning curve they would need to go through.
Adam.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:14:11 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"

An excellent point :). The original pop signature code assumed a TN pop. I think it would be reasonable to assume a pre-ind civilization had no EM signature at all.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:11 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Quote from: "Aldaris"

While this is true for the "real" Rome, I don´t think it is for Steve´s
In this alternate reality, Rome conquered the whole of earth in a century or so, there simply was no need for diplomacy (who needs diplomacy, when you are attacking spear toting tribsemen with jet fighters and main battle tanks?)
Therfore I think it appropriate for the romans to be much less diplomatic and a lot more conquest oriented.
This is the reply I was going to give until I saw you beat me to it :)

Steve