Author Topic: Spaceport questions  (Read 2734 times)

Offline bankshot (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • b
Spaceport questions
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
Just to confirm my understanding:  Is a spaceport basically a combination cargo shuttle station, ordinance transfer station, and refueling station?  Earth has all four - is there any reason to keep the three specialized stations since I have a spaceport?  And is there any reason to have more than one of any of these stations on a planet?   

The spaceport costs 3000 to construct and requires 1m population to run, where the other three are 1200 each, without a population requirement.  Since it looks like population limit will be a bigger factor here than in my VB game I don't see much need to construct spaceports except for RP reasons on major population centers.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Spaceport questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:24:34 AM »
Yes Spaceport is basically combination of the three stations. You can send the stations on Earth to your colonies. These installations do not stack so there is no reason to have more than one.

In my experience the pop requirement of Spaceport is not really an issue. I have 90+ years old game and I have trouble to find work for all colonists, so 1m population is nothing.

The following users thanked this post: bankshot

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Isnt the spaceport neccessary to build spacestations using construction factories, the other 3 dont replace that function to my knowledge

Offline CowboyRonin

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Quote from: stabliser link=topic=11523. msg134818#msg134818 date=1590421996
Isnt the spaceport neccessary to build spacestations using construction factories, the other 3 dont replace that function to my knowledge

No, that function simply comes from designing the space station with the No Armor option - at that point, any construction factory can build it.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:04:13 PM »

No, that function simply comes from designing the space station with the No Armor option - at that point, any construction factory can build it.

Sounds like a bug then.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106780#msg106780

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »

You still need a spaceport on that colony to be able to build it. At least, in my game (1.9.5), I can only build space stations with construction factories on the two colonies that also have a spaceport.

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 02:12:35 PM »
There is a need to build spaceport.
According to wiki (http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Installations#Spaceport):
Spaceports have the added benefit of reducing the time spent loading/unloading any type of cargo: a colony with a single Spaceport will have loading times halved, whilst one with two Spaceports will have it lowered to 1/3 of normal speed, and one with three Spaceports will have it lowered to 1/4, and so on.

So there is a reason.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, bankshot, Demetrious

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 02:06:16 PM »
There is a need to build spaceport.
According to wiki (http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Installations#Spaceport):
Spaceports have the added benefit of reducing the time spent loading/unloading any type of cargo: a colony with a single Spaceport will have loading times halved, whilst one with two Spaceports will have it lowered to 1/3 of normal speed, and one with three Spaceports will have it lowered to 1/4, and so on.

So there is a reason.

That benefit is rather massive, too, if you consider how often you will be loading/unloading cargo from a major population and manufacturing center. The 1 million population requirement and the staggering eighty standard cargo holds size of the facility is the balancing factor for that. Note that setting up full services on a planet without the spaceport (fuel, cargo and munitions) requires a good thirty cargo holds on its own, but no population requirement means they're well suited for rando barren rocks that are acting as forward military outposts and such. Clear use-cases for each.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:07:22 PM by Demetrious »