Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 37797 times)

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »
We should get this stickied as a 'quick questions' thread.

Does putting a Forward Fire Director on a light vehicle do anything other than make them heavier and a bit better armored?
FFD is required  for aerospace or orbital close support. One FFD unit per ship or six fighters.

EDIT: If you mean 'does the FFD work differently on a light vehicle instead of infantry', the answer is no.

EDIT2: However, having more of your units be vehicles increases the formation's breakthrough potential. So in an armored spearhead type formation, you might want the FFD to be vehicle-mounted, not because it makes it better at its job, but because it avoids making the formation worse at its job.

It's not required, it only makes orbital fire support more accurate.
By that do you mean that you can use orbital bombardment in non-close-support modes and have some helpful effect? Or is close support actually allowed without FFD? The wiki seems to indicate that if you can assign it without FFD, it will have zero accuracy. (But if you have some FFD, you could assign too much support. The formula used makes that counterproductive, but allowed.)

I think I remember someone posting about not being able to assign their fire-support fleet when there wasn't enough FFD in the formation to direct it, too...

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Re: Quick Questions Thread
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
I think back in VB6 there was an auto fire setting for ships, where they would automatically acquire and fire at targets.  I don't see the equivalent in c# - anyone know if it exists?

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
I think back in VB6 there was an auto fire setting for ships, where they would automatically acquire and fire at targets.  I don't see the equivalent in c# - anyone know if it exists?

I do not believe it exists. The closest thing is the auto assign targets buttons.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:45:01 PM by DFNewb »

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2020, 07:13:12 AM »
I'm unsure if STO weapons need accompanying active sensors to fire? Because if they do, that would be their Achilles' heel.

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
Is there a way to view what the NPC empires are doing using Spacemaster mode?

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »
I'm unsure if STO weapons need accompanying active sensors to fire? Because if they do, that would be their Achilles' heel.
I think they have an active sensor included automatically, similarly to CIWS, but I haven't tested that.

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
I think they have an active sensor included automatically, similarly to CIWS, but I haven't tested that.

I know there is a button to turn on and off active sensors for them. In my tests I didn't really get to check out if they worked or not cause I always had out actives on when my STO's were shooting I think but they don't seem to appear on the tactical map overlay, I do believe the active is there tho.

Offline Sara

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #427 on: May 31, 2020, 02:25:33 AM »
2 Quick questions:

1) Has anyone found a viable usecase for retrofitting? Changing/upgrading weapons fails because cost/size, Engine because Size+cost ... same for changing colo modul vs terraforming/terraforming if the rest of the ship is the same. I litterally dont find any use cases? does anyone has some?
(Let's exclude sensors and fuel bays :P )

2) If my Ship has a 3000 km/s tracking turret, and the ship flies 3000km/s .... are they added for the tracking (so I''ll be able to track 6000km/s?), only the higher or is there a formular?

Sincerely

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #428 on: May 31, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
2 Quick questions:

1) Has anyone found a viable usecase for retrofitting? Changing/upgrading weapons fails because cost/size, Engine because Size+cost ... same for changing colo modul vs terraforming/terraforming if the rest of the ship is the same. I litterally dont find any use cases? does anyone has some?
(Let's exclude sensors and fuel bays :P )

2) If my Ship has a 3000 km/s tracking turret, and the ship flies 3000km/s .... are they added for the tracking (so I''ll be able to track 6000km/s?), only the higher or is there a formular?

Sincerely
Turret speed is independent of ship speed.  Non-turreted weapons use the better of ship speed and base racial tracking speed.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2020, 10:42:59 PM »
Quick question: does anyone know any apropriate places to post a bug workaround?
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #430 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:39 AM »
Is there a way to get a TG to follow a target and keep it at a specific range, like 400k km?

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #431 on: June 01, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
Is there a way to get a TG to follow a target and keep it at a specific range, like 400k km?
use the order to follow, set minimum distance to 400k km, and change their speed to something similar to the targets', so it doesn't bounce in and out of their range.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Zeradash

• Leading Rate
  • Z
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
Question:

Is there a way to see the stats of confiscated missiles and other technologies (lasers etc.   ) once you occupy an enemy world and dig them up? I assumed it could be seen in the Intelligence window on known technologies, but it isn't there and I can't find it anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:31:14 PM by Zeradash »

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #433 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
Quick question: does anyone know any apropriate places to post a bug workaround?
You should mention it when posting the bug report. If it's particularly important for some reason you could make a separate thread in the bug forum although as I write this, the news ticker says "Post any bugs to the appropriate thread in the Bugs forum. Do not create new threads!".

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #434 on: June 02, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »

I know there is a button to turn on and off active sensors for them. In my tests I didn't really get to check out if they worked or not cause I always had out actives on when my STO's were shooting I think but they don't seem to appear on the tactical map overlay, I do believe the active is there tho.

Much like CIWS the internal Actives of the STOs are abstracted away. Every STO weapon has its own active that is strong enough to support the weapons range. Turning off their actives is paramount to telling your STOs to hold fire. Otherwise I assume they remain on.