Author Topic: Question relating to bug  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Person012345 (OP)

• Captain
Question relating to bug
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
So, I posted this in the bug thread a while back but recently found out what might be cause.

Basically, every 5 days I get:
Error in OrbitalMovement
Error 11 was generated by Aurora
Division by zero

Someone suggested that it might be a planet with an orbital period of less than 5 days, and behold I have one in my home system with a year that is 28 hours long. Now, I'm not sure that I had this error right from the beginning, but it occurred to me that it might have started around the time a civilian mining colony started up there.

So a few of questions for anyone who might know:
Is this likely to be the cause of the error message?
If yes, is it likely to be fixable by abandoning the colony and banning the body?
If not, is there any way to delete the specific planet?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Question relating to bug
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
So, I posted this in the bug thread a while back but recently found out what might be cause.

Error in OrbitalMovement
Division by zero

Someone suggested that it might be a planet with an orbital period of less than 5 days, and behold I have one in my home system with a year that is 28 hours long. Now, I'm not sure that I had this error right from the beginning, but it occurred to me that it might have started around the time a civilian mining colony started up there.

If yes, is it likely to be fixable by abandoning the colony and banning the body?

Backup your database and remove the colony is my vote.

The problem is probably that the database or VB variable can't handle such a small float and it gets cut down to 0.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
I've gotten t hese bugs before.  Do you have your display: passive sensors turned on?

Turn them off and see if that helps.  

This might be related to a separate issue, though, but I knew I had one related to drawing passive sensor ranges that were too gigantic.  I had the passive range set to maximum size, and then i built about 100 sensor arrays on my homeworld, which made the range somewhere out near the next star.  Make sure all task groups have correct orders-- no ships on weird loops.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:24:49 PM by Thiosk »

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:18 AM »
I've gotten t hese bugs before.  Do you have your display: passive sensors turned on?

Turn them off and see if that helps.  

This might be related to a separate issue, though, but I knew I had one related to drawing passive sensor ranges that were too gigantic.  I had the passive range set to maximum size, and then i built about 100 sensor arrays on my homeworld, which made the range somewhere out near the next star.  Make sure all task groups have correct orders-- no ships on weird loops.
I don't have passive sensors displayed, and although I do have some fairly hefty sensors, I'm p. sure the error started before then. I don't have any weird orders, but the humans have some ships... there's a jump point in the cardiff system to another jump point in the cardiff system and they have ships going around in a circle, but that appears to be working normally.

Also, removing the colony did not seem to help.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

Error in OrbitalMovement
Division by zero

The only time I have seen this is when you have a planet or moon with a zero orbital distance. If you have Access I can explain how to look for one in the DB - otherwise you would have to search for it manually using the F9 window.

The 28 hour orbital period should not be a problem.

Steve

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:38 AM »
I don't have access, so I'll look for one later.