Author Topic: Compressed Fuel Tanks  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Compressed Fuel Tanks
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
Found a couple of these in ruins.

Is there a point in dissembling them?

The event log tells me I earn research points for that, but nothing shows up in the research tab. So use or disemble?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Compressed Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
If you disassemble enough of them you'll gain the tech, it doesn't open it up to research though. for other advanced techs unlocking the 1st level lets you research subsequent ones however.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
If it doesn't open a research project, that's probably a bug.

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »
If you disassemble enough of them you'll gain the tech, it doesn't open it up to research though. for other advanced techs unlocking the 1st level lets you research subsequent ones however.
Yup, that worked, thanks. The event log does register how many RP are gained each time you dissemble one, but the aggregate progress so far does not seem to be displayed anywhere.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
I think if the technology related to that item is one that already would show in your research choices you would see the number of RP show as ###/####.

Offline Steven Kodaly

• Leading Rate
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
The event log tells me I earn research points for that, but nothing shows up in the research tab. So use or disemble?

Quick sanity check: are these items being disassembled on a world where you possess research labs?  I seem to remember some issues with disassembling captured technology and bringing the research points back to the home world...

Or I could simply be losing what's left of my mind.
Charming, to the last.

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
Quick sanity check: are these items being disassembled on a world where you possess research labs?  I seem to remember some issues with disassembling captured technology and bringing the research points back to the home world...

Or I could simply be losing what's left of my mind.

Yeah, of course I am that sane.

My problem was the following: Normally, when you dissemble a component with unknown (but accessible) technology you get i) notified in the event log that you gain some research points, and ii) in the research overview tab it gets displayed as something like 28500/30000, indicating that 28500 research points must be spent on this project, out of the original 30000 (i.e. you gained 1500 points in this example). Exactly as happens when you savage a wreck, or chancel a research project.

Now with compressed fuel tanks the event log still recognizes that you gain research points on dissembling them. However, afterwards the research tab does not show that you have already gained some research points on the project. That is not quite surprising, as compressed fuel tanks are not an “available” project to begin with. You can only see the research project at all by clicking on the “all” checkbox, where you see that the project costs a total of 1000 research points – but not how many rp you have gained already from dissembling.