Author Topic: Flight Crew Births?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Flight Crew Births?
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
I am designing my first carrier and noticed it now includes flight crew births, these I imagine are for the fighter pilots. But I don't see how to manually increase the amount of births on the ship design menu, or have I missed something?

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
Re: Flight Crew Births?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
In the Class Design (F5) window there is a check box in the upper right hand corner labelled Keep Excess Q. If you check this box you can manually add crew quarters just like any other component.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
I am designing my first carrier and noticed it now includes flight crew births, these I imagine are for the fighter pilots. But I don't see how to manually increase the amount of births on the ship design menu, or have I missed something?

The flight crew really shouldn't be flying while pregnant anyway. As to increasing the number of births, Aurora is detailed but not that detailed!

Steve

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the help, do I actually need to add extra births for the pilots or do they somehow spend all their time living in the cockpit ala elite stye?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
If they don't have the available berths then they do live in their cockpits. It is a good idea to not have that happen however.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »
The flight crew really shouldn't be flying while pregnant anyway. As to increasing the number of births, Aurora is detailed but not that detailed!

Steve

LOL
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »
As far as adding extra berths to a design, you'll have to check the box for keeping excess quarters in the design screen and then slap a few more crew quarters on

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »

Steve

in version 6.XXX?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
in version 6.XXX?

Matt

To clear up all the confusion, birth != berth.  The former is the emergence of a new organism from the egg or womb.  The latter is an accommodation area aboard a vehicle.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
confusion, damn,  I thought it was a new feature ;)  one that comes with slide guitar and bad moustaches

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »
Aside from my mental lapse in spelling  ??? What actual effect do the berths have? If I design a carrier with zero extra berths and load it up with fighters what will happen to the pilots? If I also design a ship with lots of free berths for no apparent reason will that ship be able to perform any extra functions?

From an RP standpoint I can understand them (TNG Enterprise always seemed to have spare quarters for visitors). But what are the game mechanics of them?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what happens to fighter crew if your carrier doesn't have enough extra berths, but one reason for including extra berths is for rescuing lifeboats, you don't want your carrier to mutiny because they picked up the crew of a destroyed frigate or something.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
It's covered under the v6 changes for crew morale.  This detailed in the topic in Mechanics for the v6 changes. (originally v5.7)
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
Aside from my mental lapse in spelling  ??? What actual effect do the berths have? If I design a carrier with zero extra berths and load it up with fighters what will happen to the pilots? If I also design a ship with lots of free berths for no apparent reason will that ship be able to perform any extra functions?

From an RP standpoint I can understand them (TNG Enterprise always seemed to have spare quarters for visitors). But what are the game mechanics of them?

Then your fighter crews live on their fighters, and suffer morale penalties when their deployment time is exceeded.

I'm not sure exactly what happens to fighter crew if your carrier doesn't have enough extra berths, but one reason for including extra berths is for rescuing lifeboats, you don't want your carrier to mutiny because they picked up the crew of a destroyed frigate or something.
ships with overloaded life support systems suffer crew quarters related maintenance failures, which in turn prompts more life support failures,etc. it will chew through maintenance so you want to get that ship back to a planet as soon as possible, but its not an immediately fatal type thing.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
So it just overloads life support but doesn't cause morale failure? I would ave thought it did both.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "