Author Topic: Why can't I jump my jump equipped ship?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Why can't I jump my jump equipped ship?
« on: January 16, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »
Neither Standard Transit, Squadron Transit, nor Squadron Transit by Sub-Fleet will cause my scout cruiser to jump through an unexplored jump point. The cruiser is less than 10,000 tons and has a 'self-only' jump drive that can jump 10,000 tons. Why am I failing to get my exploring ships to actually get out there and explore?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
Re: Why can't I jump my jump equipped ship?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 12:00:31 AM »
Neither Standard Transit, Squadron Transit, nor Squadron Transit by Sub-Fleet will cause my scout cruiser to jump through an unexplored jump point. The cruiser is less than 10,000 tons and has a 'self-only' jump drive that can jump 10,000 tons. Why am I failing to get my exploring ships to actually get out there and explore?

Make sure both engine types match

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 12:11:10 AM »

Make sure both engine types match

Seconding. To clarify: jump drives work based on the engine of a ship, rather than the ship's classification - if a ship is a military ship with a commercial engine (often true for survey craft!!) it needs a commercial jump drive.

I got bitten by this in my first game of Aurora C#. I recommend using SpaceMaster to correct this if it is indeed the cause, you've learned your lesson so no need to make it more painful than it already is.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: alex_g

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:03 AM »
ARGH! Great. That answers my question. I gave them commercial engines to save on fuel and military jump engines to save on space. Now I have to spend umpteen ages refitting them before I can actually use them. Going to do my damndest to make them fuel-efficient somehow despite making them military. Maybe just drop their size to one below 25, or raise their fuel efficiency one notch, sacrificing some range but gaining a tad more speed. (Useful I suppose for running away.)

Sure would be nice is there was some sort of alert as to the mismatch. I had absolutely zero clue it would be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:34:56 AM by Panpiper »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 03:30:55 AM »
To be honest I would kindof nice if military drives could just jump commercial engines.  I feel like that used to be the case...

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 03:40:33 AM »
To be honest I would kindof nice if military drives could just jump commercial engines.  I feel like that used to be the case...

That was true in aurora vb it changed for C#.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 03:46:01 AM »
Yeah, I don't particularly like it...