Author Topic: Auto Fire  (Read 1573 times)

Nabobalis

Auto Fire
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
I was wondering what it does exactly? So for example if I set up all the weapons to the fire/missile controls myself and then set it to auto-fire, will it leave all that alone and then target and fire by it self or will it reassign everything and then fire?

But for one of my ships, in my old game before I was wiped out. I set the ship to auto-fire and it seems to have put all the missile launchers under one missile control despite the fact that some tubes where AmM and some where AsM. Can't be sure if that was the auto-fire or the Auto FC setting that did that however.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Auto Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
Quote from: "Nabobalis"
I was wondering what it does exactly? So for example if I set up all the weapons to the fire/missile controls myself and then set it to auto-fire, will it leave all that alone and then target and fire by it self or will it reassign everything and then fire?

But for one of my ships, in my old game before I was wiped out. I set the ship to auto-fire and it seems to have put all the missile launchers under one missile control despite the fact that some tubes where AmM and some where AsM. Can't be sure if that was the auto-fire or the Auto FC setting that did that however.
At the moment it will use all your missiles offensively when used in Auto-fire mode. I could add a toggle for assuming missile defence is required, or differentiate between fire controls, but it will have to wait for the next database upgrade. NPR ships are easier to handle for weapon allocation as they usually only have one weapon type and I am using the NPR code.

Steve

Offline Micro102

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
I'm more interested in the "reassign fire control then shoot" thing. Will the auto fire do that? Because when i auto-assigned my lasers it gave the short range turret the 3000 tracking speed fire control and the main laser the 12000 tracking speed fire control.

Offline forsaken1111

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:13:43 AM »
It would be helpful if we could predefine ready states for different ship designs.

Say I designate one state "Yellow 1" and want that state to be a cautious defensive stance. I assign all of my laser weapons to my fastest fire control for point defense duty and link my anti-missile missile launchers to their correct fire control, and set the shields to on.

I designate another state as "Red 1" which I want to be a very aggressive state sacrificing defense for all-out firepower. I assign all beam weapons to my anti-ship fire control system, with shields on.

Perhaps other states could be set for a mix of defense/offence, such as "Yellow 2" which has point defense weapons set but no shields, designated as a cautious stance used when no hostility is expected. Perhaps this is the normal state of the ship.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's 3AM here. :D

States could hold information such as active sensors on/off, transponder on/off, shields on/off, set speed, etc. Would be nice to have a state which sets the drive to lower speed, shields and active sensors off, so you have a ready-made stealth state that takes only one click to apply. I would imagine you would have to set these states per design, as each ship will have different max speed and fire control systems.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:45:20 AM »
Quote from: "forsaken1111"
It would be helpful if we could predefine ready states for different ship designs.

Say I designate one state "Yellow 1" and want that state to be a cautious defensive stance. I assign all of my laser weapons to my fastest fire control for point defense duty and link my anti-missile missile launchers to their correct fire control, and set the shields to on.

I designate another state as "Red 1" which I want to be a very aggressive state sacrificing defense for all-out firepower. I assign all beam weapons to my anti-ship fire control system, with shields on.

Perhaps other states could be set for a mix of defense/offence, such as "Yellow 2" which has point defense weapons set but no shields, designated as a cautious stance used when no hostility is expected. Perhaps this is the normal state of the ship.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's 3AM here. :D
Welchbloke

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
digging this old thread with a bit of useful insight for future reference:
remember that for the auto fire to work, the aliens should have been marked as hostile  :'(

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »
Is there an algorithm for how the ships switch targets?

I just engaged 72 enemy vessels and used auto-fire for the first part. I noticed that most of the time the ships kept firing missiles until the enemy ship exploded, not caring whether its engines were already destroyed or not - but that sometimes they switched targets with no apparent reason. I had to manually guide my 42 ships as they were otherwise wasting large numbers of missiles.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
no, it's just a convenience functionality exposed from the npr ai, anything else you must done by hand.