Author Topic: Research Strategies  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Research Strategies
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
I have read various threads stating that all researchers should be engaged in research projects even if only one lab can be spared as this helps build up the % ability in their field.

I was wondering how people allocate there researchers do all researchers have a lab and then any leftover are used for the short term research goals or do people use some other strategy.

Please comment and let us know so we can all learn from each other.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Research Strategies
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »
I generally try to have at least one good reasearcher working with at least 20 labs.  This is my primary focus for reasearch at the time.  I will often have 3-5 labs each for other reasearch projects that I need in the near future.  Once I can start building more labs in significant numbers I want to get at least 300 labs going.  This allows for each field of reasearch to have one reasearcher with 30 labs as well as a couple more reasearchers per field with 1 lab.  I will also have enough labs left over for 1-2 more reasearchers with 20+ labs to help on particularily important fields of reasearch.  A good example would be the sensor and fire control field.  If I have enough labs I will have one reasearcher working on the beam weapon fire control stuff while a second reasearcher works on the active and passive sensors.

When deciding which reasearcher to use I will often check which combination of # of labs and % bonus actually gives the most reasearch points.  For example a reasearcher with Admin 4 and a 5% bonus produces vs a Admin bonus 2 and 30%.  At anything less than 18 labs the 30% bonus actually will have more labs.  

As far as what gets improved over time it is both the % bonus as well as the Admin rating.  Of the two I usually consider the admin rating to be more important.

Brian

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
I try to have at least one researcher in each field.
At least 25% (up to 50%) of labs are allocated to the best construction/production researcher, increasing research rate all the time --> compound interest
Early to early-mid game, 10 labs for important tasks, the rest splitted between the other researchers.
When I get more labs, I try to have two researcher per field, so there is a backup, if the main guy bites the dust :)
This means I have usually quite a few projects running, though half of them are normally only 1-lab-jobs.
Of course, if something is needed very urgently, as many labs as possible are lumped together for the task
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »
Normally I try to have atleast one lab per researcher, always keeping them busy in their preferred field, if they have any bonus already, that is.
I always go for the highest % bonus unless the Admin rating is one, with the exceptions being increase in research rate and very urgent products.
Higher % bonus just makes for cheaper research.
I always try to equalize progress so I get several new technologies at roughly the same time, to build new generation ships with it.
Economy research is not bound to that, of course.

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:46:28 AM »
Do people use the research queue and if so how does it work?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:17:32 AM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
Do people use the research queue and if so how does it work?
Yes I always use the queue.  Click on the reasearcher who is currently working on a project up top.  Then click on the tech you want them to work on next, then click on the queue button at the bottom of the screen.  You can set up more than 1 project in the queue for each reasearcher, and the arrow buttons on the right can be used to change the order you want them to be done in.  Each reasearcher is seperate so you can decide the next three or four techs for each without a problem.

Brian

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »
Never use it, I just don't see why.
With the average 5 day increment, you can't miss much.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Never use it, I just don't see why.
With the average 5 day increment, you can't miss much.

If you don't use it, then excess research points are wasted whenever a project finishes.  Or is this what you mean by "you can't miss much" - that you feel this is a negligible amount?

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:16:40 AM »
Yes, pretty much.
I always set my research up so I have multiple projects end as close as possible to each other.
A day or two without research is tiny compared to the year or two they sit at it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
I tend to use the queue to set up my research strategy, so I don't have to remember what I was planning to research :)

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »
Well, guess thats a possibility.
Last game I played with a 1b start, After around 8 years I literally had over a dozen scientists spread over two planets researching all over the place in 60+ labs, and I stopped caring what I actually was researching, I had my weapon of focus (Mesons + Missiles and a little Gauss), and the rest was just randomly assigned something to keep them busy. With the exception of the +40% (A5) Defense guy.