Author Topic: Having a pickle with separation ranges and geo-sensors  (Read 1236 times)

Offline tanq_tonic (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • t
Having a pickle with separation ranges and geo-sensors
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
Was getting very aggravated in the missile design window, since I was designing a drone that separated separated out a geosurvey buoy.  Saved the design and researched it, but when I went back into the window it showed a 150k kmeters separation range, when I put in a zero (so as to get the geo-buoy to the planet...)

Then I realized that the missile design window says "proposed design", and that the 150 that defaults in the 2nd stage window overrides the original design and goes into the proposed design.

That being said, is there any way to double check the missile design for the proper separation *after* it has been designed?  The missile design window will always override the original with its "150", and the technology button at the top of the system map does not show a separation range.

1st question: Is there anyway to look at the separation range "after the fact" of being designed?

2nd question:  what is the 'range' of the geosurvey sensor?  How far away from a point on space will it be effective on that point in space?

3rd question:  Do I seemingly have the concept on using the drone to carry a buoy to the planet, and have it separate there and do its survey hold water?  Is the separation range in this case of zero the proper way to do this?

Thanks a ton in advance for any pointers or directions.....

Tanq

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Having a pickle with separation ranges and geo-sensors
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
1. Go to the racial technology screen. Switch to missiles and the details such as speed, second.stage and separation.range should be shown. You can't change.he separtion range though.

2. range of the geosensor is 0. It has to be at the planet to work.

3. the concept is fine, as it has been used before. keep in mind the buoy self-destructs when the survey is done. i've never used them myself so i can't tell you.how viable it is.

Offline tanq_tonic (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Is the racial tech screen the screen that opens up by using the button at the top of the system map screen?  (i.e. the one that is the 7th from the right on the upper panel)

Is so, the separation range is not shown in this screen.

Or am I just clueless as to where the racial technology screen can be accessed......

Thnx for the answers

tanq

Offline Jikor

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
You can view the screen at Ctrl-F7

Also you can see the separation range under ship details if you add it as a preferred ordnance on some design.