Author Topic: Starting RP?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Starting RP?
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
First time playing with a trans newtonian empire and I gave myself some RP to spend, but left them unallocated as I knew what I wanted to spend them on. But how do you go about using them? In the economics window there seems to be nothing in the research tab for spending?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Starting RP?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
You need to be in SM mode. Then on the research tab you should see a button labeled Instant (or something like that). Conversely, you can click Instant when you create an item.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
Ah i see, I was aware of the SM instant but figured this was a "less cheaty" way of doing it or some such.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
When you do that, it is supposed to deduct the research cost from your RP total.

Offline PSI

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=7166. msg72956#msg72956 date=1400263202
When you do that, it is supposed to deduct the research cost from your RP total.
As a side note, you can use the "Instant" button even after you've depleted all of your starting RP.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
Ah i see, I was aware of the SM instant but figured this was a "less cheaty" way of doing it or some such.

Actually, this (empire setup, including tech) is exactly what SM mode was originally put in for.  Don't forget that Aurora started out as "Starfire Assistant", i.e. a book-keeping helper for a multi-player paper-and-pencil 4X game.  SM (Space Master) mode was used to transcribe the empires that the players had created into the system, advance time by a turn, figure out which systems (and when in the turn) had player "collisions" that would need to be played out on hex paper (SA originally only had the galactic map - no system map), update the fleets with the results of battles, and generally fix things that Steve hadn't put explicit hooks in to do.

Over the years (soon to be decades :) ), Steve automated more and more of the paper-and-pencil tracking in the game (e.g. weapons fire and damage, system map, NPR setup, ...), but human-directed setup remains an SM function.

That being said, when you create a new game there's a "Assign starting tech points automatically" checkbox that will use the same algorithm (I think) as is used for NPRs to spend your tech points on research.  Note that it is a GAAP (Generally Accepted Aurora Practice) to use the research points to buy tech, then (when research points hit zero) use the "instant" button to grant yourself system designs (engines, weapons, sensors, ...) based on the tech available for free as part of the initial setup.  My recollection is that this is what happens with NPR too.

John

The following users thanked this post: Demakustus