C# Fiction > Steve's Fiction

Gothic III Screenshots

<< < (2/5) > >>

Blacklight:
Just wondering, do you have the starting settings you used for this campaign? just interested in what kinda tech etc you started at to have 200+ systems explored under 20 years in.  i usually only do 1 billion pop starts so wondering how big this was.

Steve Walmsley:
Starting setup is below - I recorded this but stopped writing anything down after a few years.

I am now on 303 systems after 21 years. Only minutes ago, I destroyed a 110,000 ton hive ship, but there are still six cruisers and many smaller ships I need to track down. I am facing six different Tyranid hive fleets now, but one is mostly destroyed and I am working on a second. There are three Aether Rifts but no Chaos (Invaders) yet. There are several active Necron (precursor) systems. I am in contact with three NPRs, two of which are fighting the third and in one system fighting each other and a powerful Necron force. The Raiders have attacked me and the NPRs but haven't been a major problem.

Setup
This campaign will use the WH40k Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard as a theme, with minor elements of the Space Marines. Ship classes will mirror the general capabilities of classes of the Imperial Navy, based on the type and number of weapons specified for the ship classes in the Battlefleet Gothic board game. For example, the Dauntless class light cruiser has three lance batteries, eight weapon batteries and one defence turret in Battlefleet Gothic, so it has the same in Aurora. The Lunar class cruiser has four lance batteries, twelve weapon batteries, six torpedo launchers and two defence turrets, which is also replicated in Aurora.

I have to make exceptions for jump-capable and survey ships, as they don’t exist in BFG, so I chose a design and reduced weapons to allow room for the drive and/or sensors. I also designed the carrier-hybrids, such as the Defiant and Dictator, as full carriers, because ‘fighters’ are relatively larger in Aurora vs WH40k and its is the ‘carrier’ aspect that distinguishes those ships. Finally, there is a much wider variety of non-warships in Aurora compared to BFG so I created most of those from scratch using names appropriate to the theme.

For the Battlefleet Gothic ship lists, I am primarily using the Expanded Revised edition, plus I may use the Additional Ships Compendium for roles not covered by the standard ship lists. Ground forces will be based on the equipment of Imperial Guard, Space Marines and other Imperial forces from the WH40k 8th edition codices. In order to utilise the nomenclature of the Imperial Navy, railguns of 12cm or more will be named weapon batteries, gauss turrets will become defence turrets, CIWS are commercial defence turrets, 10cm railguns on small craft will be lascannon, particle beams will be lance batteries, lasers will be bombardment cannon and missiles will become torpedoes. There are various attack craft in WH40k which are harder to replicate exactly, but I will stay true to their intended roles.

To reflect the theme and to allow me to include all the listed weapons, I have ‘gone large’ with the ship design, with light cruisers at 18,750 tons and cruisers at 37,500 tons. This fleet doctrine and weapon mix will not produce ‘efficient’ ships, but good design is not the intention. This is a role-play campaign based on a WH40k Imperial Navy theme.

With all the above in mind, I made the following changes to the starting setup:
•   Starting population is two billion with standard installations for that population size, except for 800 Maintenance Facilities instead of 600.
•   Starting Research Points are double normal to allow for the variety of starting weapons.
•   Starting Build Points are double normal, on the assumption the Imperium has been building up the largest army and fleet it can support before venturing into the galaxy.
•   Shipyards are customised for the ship classes. This results a large number of shipyards, although the vast majority have only a single slipway. Also, the Imperium doesn’t have the resources to use them all.
•   Ruin chance is increased from 20% to 25%.
•   All spoilers active. NPRs can activate Precursors and Raiders
•   5 NPRs. 50-100 LY
•   NPRs can generate other NPRs with a 10% chance.
•   Limited Research Admin (my new favourite option)
•   Hostility Modifier +20

Steve Walmsley:
Spoke too soon - first Invader ship just transited.

Steve Walmsley:
I thought it would interesting to share the screenshot of this Lunar class cruiser - Imperial Wrath. 20 ships destroyed, comprising 296,000 tons, plus 3000 missiles shot down. Travelled 450 billion km.

The game is now up to 382 systems, or almost double the size of the earlier screenshot.

nuclearslurpee:
Are you finding that with the change to officer generation for naval and ground commanders, you have a good surplus of commanders to actually fill all of those AUX/ENG/TAC/etc. modules? I remember in <2.0 games the command modules sometimes felt a bit useless because I couldn't find enough (qualified) commanders for any of them except AUX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version