Author Topic: Misc Noobs Questions  (Read 1698 times)

Offline jimi12 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • j
Misc Noobs Questions
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
I just started playing a couple of days ago and I have some questions that I can't find answers to in the wiki:

-What do government types do other than change research labs? I read somewhere that it affects diplomacy calcs; is there somewhere where I can see the differences?

-I ran into a peacock race and my diplomatic team concluded communication is impossible.  Is this normal? I thought I read somewhere that communication should never be impossible.  Also, as they destroyed my ship that found them in one system from Sol, should I be worried about them invading?

-All of my industry is on Earth.  Earth is about out of Sorium.  I built a fuel tanker with refineries on it.  Do I just move the tanker to Saturn, where there is Sorium, and it will automatically mine it? Will it automatically convert it to fuel or leave it as Sorium? If it converts it to fuel, is there an option like "Unload all fuel" like a mining freighter would?

-Can I only move geology teams onto habitable colonies? Can I move them to uninhabitable planets or moons that I do not have a colony on? I seem to be having trouble moving my geology teams around.

-Can I scuttle and salvage ships? I have some ships I built when I was just starting and are useless.  Can I disband and get raw materials out of them?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Re: Misc Noobs Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »
I just started playing a couple of days ago and I have some questions that I can't find answers to in the wiki:

-What do government types do other than change research labs? I read somewhere that it affects diplomacy calcs; is there somewhere where I can see the differences?

-I ran into a peacock race and my diplomatic team concluded communication is impossible.  Is this normal? I thought I read somewhere that communication should never be impossible.  Also, as they destroyed my ship that found them in one system from Sol, should I be worried about them invading?

-All of my industry is on Earth.  Earth is about out of Sorium.  I built a fuel tanker with refineries on it.  Do I just move the tanker to Saturn, where there is Sorium, and it will automatically mine it? Will it automatically convert it to fuel or leave it as Sorium? If it converts it to fuel, is there an option like "Unload all fuel" like a mining freighter would?

-Can I only move geology teams onto habitable colonies? Can I move them to uninhabitable planets or moons that I do not have a colony on? I seem to be having trouble moving my geology teams around.

-Can I scuttle and salvage ships? I have some ships I built when I was just starting and are useless.  Can I disband and get raw materials out of them?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I'm not sure about the racial government question.

The peacock race could be a number of things. If you've turned any of the optional "AI-controlled xxx Ships" it could be one of them, as none of them will communicate with you. It could also just be a somewhat prickish NPR (sometimes communication will prove to be impossible, even with a great team working on them). Whether there's a risk of invasion depends on who/what they actually are.

Sorium harvesters will automatically extract sorium from a gas giant and convert it to fuel, then store it into their tanks. If you check the "Tanker" box in the class design screen the ship will have the option to unload 90% of its fuel to colonies. Typically though you'd send a tanker to come get the fuel from them, rather than having them return to a colony to unload.

You can move geology teams to any body with a colony on it, habitable or not. Either select the colony in the population/production window and use the teams tab to create a team directly on the colony, or if you want to RP it more and don't mind the extra micromanagement involved you can load/unload teams from a colony using a ship and physically transport them. I'm not sure whether it's possible to physically move a team using a ship to a body with no colony on it, or whether the team will work there or not.

Your shipyards have an option to scrap ships to get components/wealth/minerals from them. Shipyards can also refit old ships to a new design, although this may not be worth it depending on the differences between the ship class and the class you want to refit it to.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

Been a while since I last checked but as I recall starting government type can change not only starting labs but other installations as well as number and size of shipyards and number of initial ground troops. It does affect diplomacy, the modifiers can be seen on the race details screen (ctrl+F2) along with your racial base values. It also affects how many 'free' Research Points's you are allocated.

You can move geology teams to any body with a colony on it, habitable or not. Either select the colony in the population/production window and use the teams tab to create a team directly on the colony, or if you want to RP it more and don't mind the extra micromanagement involved you can load/unload teams from a colony using a ship and physically transport them. I'm not sure whether it's possible to physically move a team using a ship to a body with no colony on it, or whether the team will work there or not.

If you use a ship to drop off the team, it will create a colony on the body you are dropping them off on automatically if there is not one already present.

Ships can be scraped for resources at a shipyard however PDC's cannot. If you are wanting to salvage the resources from a PDC then you need to self destruct the PDC or give the crew orders to abandon ship, then use a ship with a salvage module to salvage the wreck.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »

While they are largely for role-playing purposes (including how the AI 'roleplays' NPRs), they do affect your starting allocations - for pretty much everything that has a tab on the F2 'Population & Production' window except Terraforming and the actual amount of minerals present.

You can see the differences on the Ctrl-F2 'Race Info' screen - or more accurately, the effect the differences have by switching government types.  There isn't really a player accessible list of the exact percentile modifiers to everything.  The 'Diplomacy effects' refers to the Xenophobia score, which is an annual penalty to all diplomatic relations.

Steve has flip-flopped on the idea of 'Communication Impossible' over the years, but certainly it is a far less common result than in Aurora 1.0.

And you shold always be worried about 'them' invading you - and extra worried if 'they' have a jump-gate route to your territory.

Yes, a ship with harvester modules at a GG with Sorium will automatically convert it to fuel - which is a problem when you need actual Sorium for ship components and such - and there are conditional orders such as 'Unload 90% fuel at nearest colony.'

No, you can move them to any colony.  No, you can only move them to colonies.

Rocks don't have to be habitable to get colonies on them - in Aurora, 'Colony' means 'large flat space where I put stuff.'  You can put a colony on any system body other than a Gas Giant, Super Jovian, or actual Star.  It's best to get in the habit of using the 'Add Colony' button on the F9 'System Info' window to do it.

So slap down a colony where you want you geo team to go, then issue a ship orders to take them there.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.  You can destroy your own ship on the F6 'Units' window.  You need a special ship system, the Salvage Module, to recover wrecks.  You can scrap a unit by moving it to any shipyard and using the 'scrap' shipyard task.  You'll recover any ship components (such as engines, turrets, etc.) and 1/4 of the rest of the ship's value in minerals and wealth.  The components can likewise be scrapped for 1/4 of their cost in minerals & wealth.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
It took me a little time to realize that the F2 menu, under Industry, there's a stockpile button at the top right.  You can click that to scrap components or to disassemble/reverse engineer items.  I've yet to quite figure out how to disassemble JUST ONE item, but a cargo ship in orbit does fine for micromanagement I guess.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
On the matter of communications.

Communications are impossible with Precursors. Possibly also Invaders and Swarm.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
Though you can SM communication with them, it doesn't appear that they ever have much to say, and diplomacy doesn't seem to work.